• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone with experience with Euathlus sp.red sling

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
I know ... I know ... we stress over slings...but I am wondering if E.sp red slings are inclined to disappear - can't see burrow or web - and you all know how hard it is to tell if bits of food are eaten or not...have not seen this little one(1/2") since mid august...this is my second sling of the species and the first one died(or maybe I killed it - aauugghh!)...have several other various slings who are doing well ...any words of wisdom?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most will burrow, I don't have slings of this species, I do have E. Sp. yellow slings. I usually leave a small prekilled cricket, as I've found my slings would come out and eat at night. They seem to not like just the cricket legs. Prepare for long premolts. But that is just my experience with similar slings. I hope this helps a little bit at least (I tend to ramble about this species).

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine was around a year old when I got it but still tiny, just 0.25" and although it didn't burrow it would only eat prekilled whole crickets.

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
Old thread but I'm reviving to ask...do these guys EVER molt? I know they're super slow growers, but I bought a tiny sling 7 months ago...maybe 1/4 inch tops...and it hasn't molted at all yet lol. It made a little burrow on the side of it's vial that it will sometimes retreat to, but usually it's just happily sitting or wandering in it's little home. I put tiny cricket pieces in 2-3 times a week, and though I've only ever seen it eat one time quite a while ago, I assume is does eat at some point? Just wondering if this little dude will outgrow his vial any time this decade

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Old thread but I'm reviving to ask...do these guys EVER molt? I know they're super slow growers, but I bought a tiny sling 7 months ago...maybe 1/4 inch tops...and it hasn't molted at all yet lol. It made a little burrow on the side of it's vial that it will sometimes retreat to, but usually it's just happily sitting or wandering in it's little home. I put tiny cricket pieces in 2-3 times a week, and though I've only ever seen it eat one time quite a while ago, I assume is does eat at some point? Just wondering if this little dude will outgrow his vial any time this decade

Patience, you're going to need a lot of it :). Mine seems to moult twice a year in late spring and late summer. They are adorable little Ts, the way they seem so happy just wandering around.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are slow growing, I don't have E. Sp. red slings, but I have E. Sp. yellow though, they will take a while to grow, but the result is well worth the wait.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
Hi yeah true - this is turtlynne- originator of this posting - I did get a 3rd E sp red(always willing for another try) - about a month ago - don't see much of it but food disappears...just waiting to see how things go... everything I have read says it will be a while before it is not a 'baby' - I just stress over this one since I lost 2 - someone whose spider opinion I really respect thought my first one died but the 2nd one may have escaped! Her experience was they are escape artists!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi yeah true - this is turtlynne- originator of this posting - I did get a 3rd E sp red(always willing for another try) - about a month ago - don't see much of it but food disappears...just waiting to see how things go... everything I have read says it will be a while before it is not a 'baby' - I just stress over this one since I lost 2 - someone whose spider opinion I really respect thought my first one died but the 2nd one may have escaped! Her experience was they are escape artists!

Good luck with this one, 3rd time lucky :)

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
Woke up this morning to the tiniest little molt...finally!!
13IX0kI.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What temps? A very gentle heat might make an improvement.

What are their temps in the wild after the slings hatch out?

Full disclosure: I don't own one.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What temps? A very gentle heat might make an improvement.

What are their temps in the wild after the slings hatch out?

Full disclosure: I don't own one.
I have E. Sp. yellow, but care is very similar. For slings, a pill vial with deep coco fiber for burrowing and a few drops of water. Room temperature to 80 is ideal. (80°-85 for breeding)(my room where I keep the tarantulas is always 70-80 year round).

Latest posts