• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any of the listed species "pet holes"?

Clintaceous D

I'm thinking of getting more T's in the future, but I'm trying to decide what to get next. I'm more of a look but don't touch owner with any of my terrarium pets, and prefer animals that are impressive in colour, form, and/or size. That's why most of the T's I've listed have quite the patterns and colours, it's what I enjoy most in the hobby!

What I can't stand though is an animal that is constantly out of sight. I'd hate to get a T that spends 90% of its life in a burrow. I'll make exceptions for slings since they should grow out this behaviour more in time. I don't expect it fully, but I don't want a subterranean T at all! I'd be happy if all my T's at least came out at night like my GBB and N. chromatus currently do.

With all that said, are any of the potential new T's in the following list "pet holes"?

- Ephebopus murinus
- Aphonopelma seemani
- Harpactira pulchripes
- Monocentropus balfouri
- Lasiocyano sazimai
- Any Poecilotheria sp.
- Psalmopoeus irminia
- Pterinochilus murinus

I won't be getting all of these T's, even if all of them aren't considered pet holes. I just want to weed the pet holes out.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pterinochilus murinus. I currently have Juvi's that I have had for a few years, who I very rarely see. But I have had another who was always out.
Psalmopoeus irminia. I brought a adult female off someone, that came in a terrestrial enclosure a couple of weeks ago. It used to hide away, but regularly come out for a walk. Since I moved it to an arboreal enclosure, it has been sealed up in it's bark tube.
Poecilotheria. After sling stage, all of ours are out on show.
Lasiocyano sazimai. We currently have 2. I young adult, one juvi. Both are seen out & about. But our slings have always liked to hide away.
Monocentropus balfouri. We currently have two. A larger sling & a female. They like to sit slightly covered. You do get to see them, but their webbing is worth looking at. Plus they are one of the most beautiful T's going.
Harpactira pulchripes. I am not sure if we have two or three of these. I cannot remember how they were as slings. But as juvi's & adults, our are out on view all the time.
Aphonopelma seemani. We again have 2, both females. Like our balfouri's these are viewable, even if one does like her tunnel. A very under rated T.
Ephebopus murinus. Ours is still a sling.

A good T for always being out & for impressive size, plus at a pleasantly low price, is the Lasiodora parahybana. We have several & my biggest girl's last molt mesured just over 8.5 inches. She is always out, the same with the others.

Astrozombies

I haven't seen my E.murinus for over 12 months apart from looking through the bottom of the tank. Def a pet hole.
M.balfouri, pretty much the same. They tend to stay hidden but still worth having.

Clintaceous D

[B]Pterinochilus murinus[/B]. I currently have Juvi's that I have had for a few years, who I very rarely see. But I have had another who was always out.

I guess I have to take into account that T's have personality and mine may be an outlier. Hopefully more people chime in here.