• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another phantom egg sac

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This time it's my T. Gigas. I'm happy because I never had her 100% down as a female, so I can now say for sure: It's a girl!
She's not been mated so it's definitely a dud
pzhiq8X.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Makes me feel so bad for them when they do this, grats on the girl though lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Would you like a boyfriend for her, mine matured in May?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Would you like a boyfriend for her, mine matured in May?
Thanks @Enn49 , but I'm really not confident enough for breeding. I cannot imagine separating 100s of tiny slings and my husband would kill me if any were lost in the process lol.

Just a quick question: Is it normal for a not fully grown female to lay a dud egg sac? My Gigas is nowhere near the 5" they supposedly reach, more around the < 4" mark.

P.S: She's quite protective over it so far. She ventured out for a quick drink but as soon as my husband went near her tank, she came rushing back surrounding it with her legs. My Versi kept hers for about 2 months (give or take) then threw it out, I wonder how long the Tapi keeps hers.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks @Enn49 , but I'm really not confident enough for breeding. I cannot imagine separating 100s of tiny slings and my husband would kill me if any were lost in the process lol.

Just a quick question: Is it normal for a not fully grown female to lay a dud egg sac? My Gigas is nowhere near the 5" they supposedly reach, more around the < 4" mark.

P.S: She's quite protective over it so far. She ventured out for a quick drink but as soon as my husband went near her tank, she came rushing back surrounding it with her legs. My Versi kept hers for about 2 months (give or take) then threw it out, I wonder how long the Tapi keeps hers.

No, I couldn't cope with all of those EWLs either.

I think some will produce a dud sac but others won't. I was surprised that my K. brunnipes laid one as she's not as big as I'd expected a full adult to be but I've not really read up on it. She guarded hers, always keeping a foot on it before she threw it out.

Latest posts