• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I paranoid?

thholyghst

Heyy so I have a couple of questions regarding my recent additions! I’m new to keeping T’s so I want to make sure I’m doing right by them.

I have a female Avic Avic looking like a 2.5-3” DSL in a large (8x6x14) arboreal Zilla acrylic. About 3-4” of coco fiber sub with a little moss, water dish, faux foliage for cover & a medium cork tube. She really hasn’t moved much at all. I think she’s pretty shy and noticed she scrunches up if she’s disturbed. I have seen her move to different locations on the walls but that’s about it. She hasn’t eaten since I’ve brought her home about a week ago. I’ve offered her mealworms (already had them) but she just covered her face lol. She moves reeeeally slowly but I’m hoping this is just normal behavior and she’s just a timid little thing that’s acclimating?

I also have a Giant Mexican Red Knee? (was told female, was labeled as a B. Hamorii) so unsure on accuracy there. She’s currently in a small 4x4x4 Zilla terrestrial. Once I got her home I noticed she’s a little larger than my Avic, closer to 3.5 DSL and her abdomen is super bald. Definitely got haired rehousing as she’s a bit on the spastic side lol. I’ve offered food to her as well with no interest. I was told she may be getting ready to molt. She has a half buried cork hide, about half her enclosure is sub w/ some moss, water and foliage. I’ve only seen her on top of her hide really lol.

Neither of them have really explored their enclosures to my knowledge but ‍♂️ My question is if I should I put my red knee in a larger enclosure now or wait in case she’s about to molt? I’ve tried meal worms and hornworms with no interest. I’m picking up some Dubias today to try.

Also, wondering if my Avic’s enclosure is too large for her and she’s uncomfy. I have a small arboreal I can move her to. I’ve read Avics can be picky eaters so I’m hoping to get some silk worms to pupate so I can try feeding her moths.

I know it’s only been a week and a half and I’m probably overthinking but as I said, I want to make sure I’m doing right by them as I really want to see them happy and thriving. Also really interested in having more my avics enclosure has been updated so this is an older pic just used for scale in correlation to her size. She’s got lots of greenery to hide behind now.

Attachments

• IMG_8559.jpeg
    IMG_8559.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8651.jpeg
    IMG_8651.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8658.jpeg
    IMG_8658.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

GarField000

3 Year Member
The Avi enclosure is good. But they do need to get comfortable in their new home. That can take some time.
I always use round cork so they can hide INside it. Maybe you can place it in the corner and put some dark paper on the outside so she feels more secure. slow movement also may mean about to molt. Just let her get use to the enclosure and don't feed every day. Just wait a few days and see from there.

Bolt does not necasary mean ready to molt. Same as the avic, just let her get comfy.
Common names can be mixed as some have the same. Giant Mexican Red Knee = B.smithi
This was later renamed B.hamorii as this was the one we had in the hobby. The Brachypelma annitha is now the B.smithi
Don't stress to much ... they will be ok. Just try to feed them once a week or so and see if they will eat.
I have a few spiders that never eat straight away when you offer. But 15 min. later they took the food. THey never tongfeed.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They will still be settling into their new homes so don't worry. I'd leave them in peace, just top up water bowls and try feeding again in about a week.
Your B. hamorii will possibly stay in view and just use her hide as a convenient seat.

thholyghst

The Avi enclosure is good. But they do need to get comfortable in their new home. That can take some time.
I always use round cork so they can hide INside it. Maybe you can place it in the corner and put some dark paper on the outside so she feels more secure. slow movement also may mean about to molt. Just let her get use to the enclosure and don't feed every day. Just wait a few days and see from there.

Bolt does not necasary mean ready to molt. Same as the avic, just let her get comfy.
Common names can be mixed as some have the same. Giant Mexican Red Knee = B.smithi
This was later renamed B.hamorii as this was the one we had in the hobby. The Brachypelma annitha is now the B.smithi
Don't stress to much ... they will be ok. Just try to feed them once a week or so and see if they will eat.
I have a few spiders that never eat straight away when you offer. But 15 min. later they took the food. THey never tongfeed.
Okay cool, I had hoped it was just the move lol they had her in a small critter keeper and she was a happy girl to walk all the way up to the top of her enclosure. I’ve noticed she’s been spreading her legs out more everyday. Did switch out a large cork flat for a tube so she could go inside of if she chooses. I have them in a separate room that I keep dark or red light so they aren’t disturbed by my cats or myself lmao

I figured she was B. Hamorii when I saw her and they just hadn’t updated it but wasn’t so thank you for the clarification! Do you think the 4x4x4 is suitable for her size currently?

thholyghst

They will still be settling into their new homes so don't worry. I'd leave them in peace, just top up water bowls and try feeding again in about a week.
Your B. hamorii will possibly stay in view and just use her hide as a convenient seat.
Hahaha it certainly seems like she’s chosen it as a seat for the time being. So far both of them have stayed out in the open with no noticeable signs of wanting/trying to hide which is great. I figured it may just be the adjustment which is totally fair lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hahaha it certainly seems like she’s chosen it as a seat for the time being. So far both of them have stayed out in the open with no noticeable signs of wanting/trying to hide which is great. I figured it may just be the adjustment which is totally fair lol

My old girl rarely uses her hide except as a seat whereas the younger one never seems to go into her hide.

Sugar Wolf

Yea sounds like they just need time to settle in Avics are known for taking awhile to settle in... My A. avic took a month and half to get settled in and start webbing and stuff... The Avics enclosure is fine not too big at all.. Idk if its the angle of the photo and thats why I cant see it but does the Avic have a water dish?

thholyghst

Yea sounds like they just need time to settle in Avics are known for taking awhile to settle in... My A. avic took a month and half to get settled in and start webbing and stuff... The Avics enclosure is fine not too big at all.. Idk if it’s the angle of the photo and thats why I cant see it but does the Avic have a water dish?
Yes, it’s at the base of her cork bark. I was thinking about adding a smaller magnetic one up top as well though.

GarField000

3 Year Member
I figured she was B. Hamorii when I saw her and they just hadn’t updated it but wasn’t so thank you for the clarification! Do you think the 4x4x4 is suitable for her size currently?
They say they need 2.5 times their size. I move my juvi to an 8x8x7 terra when they are 2 / 2.5 body.
For now I would just keep it there for a few molts.

GarField000

3 Year Member
No edit button:
But in my country I need to have cites B document with all Brachypelma and Poecilotheria spiders where the correct scientific name should be mentioned. Not sure how it is in other non european countries.