• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on Phantom egg sac?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

Myrtle, my Chilobrachys sp. Nong Ya Plong has made a phantom egg sac :(

She has never mated, was captive bred and has already moulted with me so I know it can't be real sadly. I can't find much information about this but saw a video mentioning that the danger of leaving the egg sac with her is she could never eat or drink again in trying to protect it. However I really don't want to take it away from her unless I have to. Does anyone have experience of this and what would you advise?

She did have a massive meal not long ago so started in good condition at least, but may have lost a lot of weight in making the sac; I can't see her very well.

Thanks.

tl.JPG

Gizalba

3 Year Member
P.s. I also hardly ever see sp. Nong Ya Plong on sale in the UK - if anyone has a male or could direct me to anyone who may sell them I would very much like to get her a boyfriend!

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Hi I had couple of Ts who had phantom egg sacs the will drop them off there own a cord , something will tell them they not hatch .Just keep an eye on her I had a Grammostola puichripes hold sac for a while , but it was a dude she dropped it and then molted .

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We, too, have had a few phantom egg sacks. We leave it a while & the T / spider, then, seems to drop thier defence of it & allows it's removal.

Edited to add, one phantom sack was with a Piloctenus cf. haematostoma, (Red Fang.) And for some reason we did not fancy either removing the sack from a defensive mummy red fang. Or the potential prospect of it being fertile, as we had only recently brought her.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Thanks so much for the replies! That is reassuring to know :) will keep an eye on her and hopefully she drops it. I did have a Heteropoda who made a few phantom sacs and indeed always abandoned them after a while.

Latest posts