• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

advice needed

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most, not all tarantulas like a place to hide and feel safe. I give all of mine at least a bit of cork or bark.
Many slings simply burrow. What type of tarantula?

Solitude's Pierrot

3 Year Member
Most, not all tarantulas like a place to hide and feel safe. I give all of mine at least a bit of cork or bark.
Many slings simply burrow. What type of tarantula?

B.smithi is my tarantula..
At first he's always at the substrate of the since we are alone in the house so I didn't put any hide 'cause he doesn't show any kind of stress..
Now he's always at the side of the wall since my siblings came to the house (near of school season, so they are going to live here)...

Should I put a hide or do anything about it?

VanessaS

3 Year Member
They should always have a choice to hide if they want to. Some will use them and some won't, but they always need to have one.
Sometimes you won't see the spider acting obviously stressed - until you open the enclosure and they bolt out because they don't have a spot to hide in instead.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely agree with everyone. Give it a nice hide. I have a couple that never use theirs but that's the exception not the rule.

Solitude's Pierrot

3 Year Member
Sometimes you won't see the spider acting obviously stressed - until you open the enclosure and they bolt out because they don't have a spot to hide in instead.

Sometimes I open the tank when feeding and he's not attempting to bolt out even when he's at the wall..

Ts like to hide sometimes when theyre stressed. no reason not to put a hide in.

Absolutely agree with everyone. Give it a nice hide.

Thanks for the advice everyone...
Hmm.. There's plenty of bamboo outside, I think it could be a nice hide to my smithi...

VanessaS

3 Year Member

Sometimes I open the tank when feeding and he's not attempting to bolt out even when he's at the wall..

The thing is... you always have to expect the unexpected. Tarantulas are very unpredictable. They don't have brains and they can display 'uncharacteristic' behaviour at any time.
I'm not trying to scare you, or accuse your little one of being defensive, but it is always best to not get too comfortable thinking that they are not capable of acting completely different that they did yesterday and every day before that.
People are caught off guard all the time - even more experienced keepers. I am just as guilty of getting into a level of comfort with mine because they are normally slow and calm. It is better to do everything you can to avoid an accident and having somewhere for them to hide when you open the tank is one of the best ways to do that. I mean, they can still bolt out regardless, but having a place to hide really goes a long way to lessen those chances.

Solitude's Pierrot

3 Year Member
The thing is... you always have to expect the unexpected.

Ok I'll do what you said...
Thanks for the enlightenment...

Every time I add some Ts, I'll put a hide in there enclosure to secure their saftey amd mine as well...

Btw.. I'm really sorry for my lack of knowledge... And a big appreciation to you guys who give advice to the newbies that really need help...

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Don't ever apologize! I sometimes might come off as being abrupt, but I'm really not. I sneak on a lot during work hours, so sometimes my responses are short and sweet and to the point, but I never get annoyed with questions. I love when people ask questions because it is a win-win situation for all!

Rmac88

3 Year Member
I think I can speak for a vast majority of keepers on here when I say, we would rather you ask a question and prevent something from happening, than not ask amd end up hurting yourself or your T

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Always ask!
We have several long term keepers/breeders here. Always someone willing to help. There are no stupid question, everyone was a nervous Newby at one point.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed, always use hides.

I don't use hides for the little slings as they're always in their burrows or will retreat to them if needed. They're the exception.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
B.smithi is my tarantula..
At first he's always at the substrate of the since we are alone in the house so I didn't put any hide 'cause he doesn't show any kind of stress..
Now he's always at the side of the wall since my siblings came to the house (near of school season, so they are going to live here)...

Should I put a hide or do anything about it?
A lot of terrestrial Ts like some sort of hiding place, so they feel safe and secure. My B smithi spends a lot of time in the tide, and even started digging deeper under it.
A hide is always a, ummmm, "safe house" for a T, and there may be times the T gets spooked, and teleports to the hide for protection. Id feel bad for the lil guy if he shot around the enclosure, scared s%@tless with nowhere to turn to for safety

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
A hide will probably diminish that nervous behavior as well of trying to bolt. My B.Smithi doesn't use her hide except to climb on but can't hurt to have it there!

Latest posts