• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

advice needed! odd behavior?

beenzsouflee

3 Year Member
Hi all. I just have a few questions. I have a curly hair baby I think it's about a year old maybe less. When I first got him he burrowed into his substrate and would never come out, I was told that this is normal behavior for tiny slings and that as he got bigger he would most likely become more active. So a few months ago I bought him a little cave... One that's meant for a fish tank and he loves it now he won't ever come out of the cave! Lol my concern is this, he's now molted inside the cave at LEAST two times that I'm sure about... I know you're supposed to remove the molts but I haven't been able to because I NEVER see him come out and he has the entrance mostly blocked by substrate and webbing. Could something be wrong that makes him not wanna walk around his cage? Or is it just his personality? When shining a light at just the right angle I can see that he's pretty huge now and will probably outgrow his cave soon. Should I just let him do his thing in there and leave the molts? I'm nervous about trying to coax him out of it because he's very skittish... If he's near the entrance and I go to feed him he jams himself in the back of the cave and he's very fast. What do you guys think? Also is it possible for him to get stuck in the cave? The entrance is narrower than the whole hide. Just wanna make sure he's gonna be fine! In the picture you can see his molt and how he's made a wall of substrate... I don't want to disturb his environment unless needed. He's cowering behind the wall cause I scared him moving his tank lol. Thanks in advance for your input guys

Attachments

• 20140812_074949.jpg
    20140812_074949.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds pretty normal. Have you checked in the middle of the night to see if he's walking around? Are there a lot of disturbances around his enclosure? Loud noises or bright lights? Those might be spooking him into his hide.