• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adding a OW to my collection....

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
So been considering adding a old world species to my collection for some time now. Just not sure what's best for me. I do have kids in the house and a lot of other animals as well so trying to stay away from anything too fast or aggressive. Nothing im going to have to worry about escaping and harming anyone. I was considering E.pachypus, Heterothele villosella or maybe a chaetopelma species. Any one have any personal experience with any of these and can give me there opinion on wich would be best to start with?

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have an H. villosella. They're heavy webbers but tend to sit on top of the web in full view. Mine is more likely to run for cover when disturbed rather than act defensively.
Phlogiellus are another small OW that I've found to be relatively calm

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
E pachypus is excellent, one of the best beginner OW. And they wear boots.

There's also M balfouri, very interesting, beautiful, and don't need to have a deep burrow (webs a lot instead).

Augacephalus spp. are also considered rather calm according to the OW standards.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not on your list (I have no experience with any of the above). I started with H. Pulchripes. Beautiful. Still more of a sling than a juvenile, but it is always out, never defensive, and is afraid of nothing.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Decided to just stick with the H.villosella for now, ordered it earlier today along with my L.klugi and A.genic I've been wanting for so long. E.pachypus will be my next OW but thanks for the other recommendations, I'll definitely be checking those out as well in the near future.

Latest posts