• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acanthogonatus Francki???

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Anyone know anything about this species? I purchased one yesterday. It was sold to me as a chilean tiger rump spider. Thought it would be a cool new addition after talking with the dealer about this heavy webbing spider. But haven't been able to find much information about it anywhere else. Are these new to the hobby or just not very popular? If theres anyone out there that's familiar with this species can you please help to shed some light on this little guy?

Redacted

3 Year Member
Anyone know anything about this species? I purchased one yesterday. It was sold to me as a chilean tiger rump spider. Thought it would be a cool new addition after talking with the dealer about this heavy webbing spider. But haven't been able to find much information about it anywhere else. Are these new to the hobby or just not very popular? If theres anyone out there that's familiar with this species can you please help to shed some light on this little guy?
They came in a few months back in some big Chilean shipments. As you noted, they are not tarantulas. All the Chilean Ts to one degree or another experience wet cold winters and hot dry summers. Some harsher than others. Expect the same conditions for this species. Beyond that, hopefully someone will have firsthand husbadry experience to share.

Payden

3 Year Member
They are actually a funnel Webber and belong to the family Nemesiidae. So technically not a tarantula although both belong to the Mygalomorphae suborder. You are right though in saying they come from Chille. I've had one for over a year now and they do like their enclosures to be dry like any other desert dwelling tarantula

PinchersNPokies

3 Year Member
They are a LOT of fun, and very easy to keep. They do appreciate a hiding place, at times, but some of them are bolder and just like to hang out in the open.
They have never refused a meal, but I imagine they can be overfed, so be careful.
The best "husbandry" piece of advice that I can give is to treat them like a Green Bottle Blue. They don't like damp substrate, so we don't mist them, but we do keep a small water dish in with them to keep some humidity. I've never seen an A. francki actually drink from a water bowl, and, like a GBB, they will probably web over it, but better safe than sorry.
We keep ours on coco fiber, rather than a play sand/coco fiber mix (like we do for any desert scorpion set-up), but keep it dry by not misting, as I mentioned.
Usually, once they web up their enclosures and are more comfortable in their new homes, they are out an about, making them a good display species to have. Congrats and enjoy!

Erik

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
They are a LOT of fun, and very easy to keep. They do appreciate a hiding place, at times, but some of them are bolder and just like to hang out in the open.
They have never refused a meal, but I imagine they can be overfed, so be careful.
The best "husbandry" piece of advice that I can give is to treat them like a Green Bottle Blue. They don't like damp substrate, so we don't mist them, but we do keep a small water dish in with them to keep some humidity. I've never seen an A. francki actually drink from a water bowl, and, like a GBB, they will probably web over it, but better safe than sorry.
We keep ours on coco fiber, rather than a play sand/coco fiber mix (like we do for any desert scorpion set-up), but keep it dry by not misting, as I mentioned.
Usually, once they web up their enclosures and are more comfortable in their new homes, they are out an about, making them a good display species to have. Congrats and enjoy!

Erik
Thanks guys. Definitely a cool addition to my collection. He's already webbed his entire enclosure. A little different from what im used to but im very happy with this little guy and also pretty neat to add a spider as everything else I have are tarantulas.

Latest posts