• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A couple rose hair questions

MyKindOfLullaby

3 Year Member
I talked to the people at my local reptile store, and I trust their judgement for the most part, but I wanted to make sure they gave me right information.
-They told me to use a heating pad as a source of heat on the bottom of the cage.
-Mist once a day
-cage should be 82 degrees F.
-feed about twice a week, but they've never really heard of a spider over-eating.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hate pet stores for this reason!

First off no heating pad! heating from the bottom can easily over heat your T. Frankly, as long as your room is comfortable to you your T should be comfy. Just as long as the temps in the room stay above 60 I wouldn't worry about heating.

As far as humidity, over flowing the water bowl once a week should suffice. They are fine with it being less humid.

Feed one prey item a week.

And what about substrate? Most of us use coco coir or ecoearth. Some do a mix of that and peat moss and soil in various combinations. Make sure it is deep enough she can burrow if she wants. And give her a hide. A small plastic plant pot cut in half length wise is great.

Anything else just ask! :)

Cobalt

3 Year Member
I talked to the people at my local reptile store, and I trust their judgement for the most part, but I wanted to make sure they gave me right information.
-They told me to use a heating pad as a source of heat on the bottom of the cage.
-Mist once a day
-cage should be 82 degrees F.
-feed about twice a week, but they've never really heard of a spider over-eating.

Looks like dalilah covered everything but i'd like to add something;

Do not trust people working at pet stores. Yes, some may know a little something about tarantulas but most of them dont - thats why it best to not trust anyone at all.

I dont know how many times people at pet stores have told me that they have "defanged" the tarantulas so they cannot bite you... REALLY?

Take a look at this thread for awesome entertainment!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/archive/index.php/t-91069.html

Cobalt

3 Year Member
If it gets too cold your tarantula will get lethargic and wont eat and move as often as their entire body slows down