• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A concern about this coming winter and heating

CraigT

Hi all,

I have been a member for a short while now but I don't believe I've posted before.

With the coming winter and the astronomical electricity and gas prices were are facing here in the UK from October, I am looking for some information and/or advice from any of you here who live in colder climates or share my concerns over this winter.

I currently house my tarantulas and true spiders on two industrial metal and wooden shelving units, each on shelves in their enclosures.
Due to the cost of energy which the UK will be hit with in October and onwards, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say it is worrying times and am looking at any way to cut costs.

The units each have a long heat mat attached to the back of them, so one heat mat provides heat for every enclosure on its shelf.

My question is, how do those of you from colder climates go about insulating your units that you keep tarantula enclosures on?
The concern I have is that when I am at work, heating needs to be kept to a minimum as to not incur too much cost, but the heat mats will always be on as they are cheap to run so the better insulated the units can bet the better overall the temperatures will be regulated.
If needs be heating in the house will be left on, but I am attempting to plan ahead for when the temperatures drop.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Blackdog

Encapsulation. IE seal up the whole shelving unit so the heat does not escape. Easier is foam board and mylar style insulation to hold and reflect the heat. You could also create a mini room with foam boards and get a more efficient heater like an oil filled radiator to heat the whole area. Good luck we are in for an expensive winter

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have several large enclosures including a 36x18×12 (inches) glass terrarium that I put my T enclosures in. I am starting to set them up now. Inside the larger enclosures I string up reptile heating cables a distance from the smaller ones. Ideally a heater might do better, but space is cramped.

Heering80

We live in Finland and just bought 7,5m3 of logs to burn. It's our first year living in an old house with three fireplaces and a wood burning stove. We might not need them, though, because we have a cheap electric contract, so it's no problem keeping a steady 22 ° inside all year round. When living truly in colder climate houses are better insulated against cold I guess..

MattB78

Hi all,

I have been a member for a short while now but I don't believe I've posted before.

With the coming winter and the astronomical electricity and gas prices were are facing here in the UK from October, I am looking for some information and/or advice from any of you here who live in colder climates or share my concerns over this winter.

I currently house my tarantulas and true spiders on two industrial metal and wooden shelving units, each on shelves in their enclosures.
Due to the cost of energy which the UK will be hit with in October and onwards, I think I speak for a lot of people when I say it is worrying times and am looking at any way to cut costs.

The units each have a long heat mat attached to the back of them, so one heat mat provides heat for every enclosure on its shelf.

My question is, how do those of you from colder climates go about insulating your units that you keep tarantula enclosures on?
The concern I have is that when I am at work, heating needs to be kept to a minimum as to not incur too much cost, but the heat mats will always be on as they are cheap to run so the better insulated the units can bet the better overall the temperatures will be regulated.
If needs be heating in the house will be left on, but I am attempting to plan ahead for when the temperatures drop.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I've got loads of spiders, frogs etc. Guess I'm giving up food this winter!