• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

55 gallon enclosure...

spider4747

3 Year Member
So an old roomate offered to sell a 55 gallon tank (probably no top) for $30. Surely something nice can go in here, anything from 20 scorpions to a lizard of some kind.

spider4747

3 Year Member
Yes. A tarantula that needs an extremely large enclosure. I didn't think there were many, but the acquisition of such would be a novelty.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Even the largest tarantulas don't require anymore space than what a 20 gallon tank would supply.

spider4747

3 Year Member
It negates the purpose unless i divide the tank into 4 different tanks and make it a big arachnid display.my stepdad says it can be done with plastic and adhesive.but i should buy a screen first

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It negates the purpose unless i divide the tank into 4 different tanks and make it a big arachnid display.my stepdad says it can be done with plastic and adhesive.but i should buy a screen first
risky but I imagine if there were NO spaces anywhere including the top for the t's to get through it might work, just seems as if every time anyone divides a tank eventually someone becomes someone elses dinner..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
risky but I imagine if there were NO spaces anywhere including the top for the t's to get through it might work, just seems as if every time anyone divides a tank eventually someone becomes someone elses dinner..
agreed. I have a 55gal tall fish tank i was looking into doing this same thing with. Too much work though.

For my tank i'd have to buy a sheet of acrylic and cut it down to size = $60 roughly, or more if i buy pre-cut and polished.
buy diamond drill bits to drill the glass = $30-$50 depending on size and brand
buy a clamp large enough to clamp the wood for the starter hole in the glass = $15
Battery powered drill = $50 (suicide to use electric plug in drill with using water to cool the bit)
hole saw to cut the board for the starting hole =$10
Board for the starting hole = $3
Tape to prevent cracks/chips = $5
Screen top = $25
Just for the items needed = roughly $200.

4 sized acrylic tanks purchased online = $400 for the style i want.

Create my own 4 enclosures - just over $200 for acrylic, hardware, and glue and it will be much easier than modifying the fish tank. And after seeing @Therasoid posting his i think i'll go that route :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Even the largest tarantulas don't require anymore space than what a 20 gallon tank would supply.
Agreed but my geniculata really liked her penthouse 190 litre corner aquirium. She has never forgiven me for downsizing her to only 70 litres lol
20151025_162652.jpg