• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st Pairing Seems To Have Went well

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
C. salei - Tiger Wandering Spider

This was my first pairing in the 30+ years that I have been doing spiders and tarantulas. It went so smoothly.....and I was so jacked up after the male went for a walk about in my bedroom! The sac is now about a week old. another 10 days and I will pull it, hatch out, and ship off. I can tell you that I don't look forward to pulling the sac. I have worked with some local wolf spiders and let me tell you - they are STRONG! So, this guy being about 10x that size........should be a fight!!! I just don't want her to get out so I will be doing this in our spare bathroom. It's easily sealed off . I am just going to go into with the mindset that she is going to get out and try to be as chill as possible. Expect the worst and hope for the best! Being prepared with be the biggest thing. Wish me luck ;)

Attachments

• 20220710_222324.jpg
    20220710_222324.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220710_222353.jpg
    20220710_222353.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220710_222401.jpg
    20220710_222401.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220710_222410.jpg
    20220710_222410.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220711_150316.jpg
    20220711_150316.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 24

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

This was my first pairing in the 30+ years that I have been doing spiders and tarantulas. It went so smoothly.....and I was so jacked up after the male went for a walk about in my bedroom! The sac is now about a week old. another 10 days and I will pull it, hatch out, and ship off. I can tell you that I don't look forward to pulling the sac. I have worked with some local wolf spiders and let me tell you - they are STRONG! So, this guy being about 10x that size........should be a fight!!! I just don't want her to get out so I will be doing this in our spare bathroom. It's easily sealed off . I am just going to go into with the mindset that she is going to get out and try to be as chill as possible. Expect the worst and hope for the best! Being prepared with be the biggest thing. Wish me luck ;)
I use the two tong method. Grab the sack with one set of tongs and the other set I slide between the sack and the female. They usually will let go of the sack and grab onto the second pair. Pull the sack out quickly. You can remove the second pair or leave them. I always toss in something to eat at this time. Let her take out her frustrations on some prey.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations on your sac! She is beautiful! I love those leg markings! ❤️

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Thanks Casey! She is definitely a stunner. Not easy to get pics through clear glass though. Pretty much everywhere she stops, she places silk. That's why the pics are so "rough"

MBullock

3 Year Member
ctenidae are so cool. easily some of the coolest spiders out there. Lycosoidea has some really interesting species.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Thanks!

Getting nervous. Few more days before I pull the sac. Not sure if I'm nervous about pulling it or nervous that it opens and I'm not around

R.Ferreira

I recommend just using a catch cup right off the bat set her aside using the catch cup to move her

I let mine hatch out with the mom
Won't make that mistake again.omg what a time catching them up. Sure that some escaped.
BTW, I had seen two females one with a sack and the other covered in babies almost side by side under a log in the wild. I just wondered how much they tolerate each other.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Yeah, working on formulating a plan to get mom out. I have a butterfly tent that has super fine mesh. Hoping to get mom out inside, minimizing any escapes. All is going to be done in a sealed bathroom with a helper.

Not sure about tolerance, especially with Wandering spiders. As for the young, sounds like 4i is about the time they need to start being separated. Luckily , I have multiple dealers that will take them ;)

Lol she dropped another? Fast little things ain't they? I have to admit. I got seriously humbled by their speed.
No further breeding attempts on my end again. Total nightmare. Boing boing boing until I just put the lid back on because I lost count of the boings zooming around at Mach 90 in my room.

Actually, I had a very pleasant experience withe first sac. None of them ever felt the need to venture out, even when adding fruit flies. Just wasn't prepared to deal with it so soon....ugh
I wish mine had been that way. I fought over pulling it but, local wolf spiders I've kept are beast mode strong and hard to pull from so when I got my first run of these guys on the lid was wrote. Super fast. I'm like ok.. IAM totally comfortable keeping ow Asian up and down the line. Got bored with baboons in less than a year.
These spiders freaking fly. In two blinks,I know I lost four to five slings. It's sorta nuts at my house for anyone not into this.
We got lots of spiders and the random loose cricket will have me going for a catch cup if I just notice movement.
For sure will never keep a Brazilian wondering spider. That's about my limit.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I have a very fine butterfly net and cups strategically placed. I left mom until they hatched. She was ready to come out and just walked right into the next enclosure. Only had one spiderling venture out.

Then I fed the sac enclosure for a week or 2 and then shipped the whole enclosure. No way I was separating them, lol

As for Phoneutria, they are on my list and extremely difficult to find here. As for breeding.....hmmmmm. Not too sure about that other than to spread them into the hobby and I have only a few figures that I would sell to.

So, if anybody knows of any Phoneutria around, please contact me via PM

Latest posts