• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

18"h x 8"d x 18"l Enclosure: advice needed on spp selection

LauraMI

3 Year Member
So I have an unused enclosure I'd like to convert into a tarantula viv & am curious as to what you all would put on there. It's glass on 5 sides w/ a screen top & sliding glass doors. I'm not willing to drill holes in it, though it really wouldn't be out of the question I suppose.
I have thought about an Avic but wasn't certain that w/o drilling holes whether there is enough airflow. I would like to put my GBB in there, but from what I've read, They live primarily at the substrate level. Benefit of moving that one on there is my G. Pulchra could eventually have the GBB's 12" x 12" x 12" viv.
I know there are a bunch of Pokie-fans here; you'll have to talk me into those. I don't know if I like the aesthetic-look of how they seem to perch...front & back legs all tight to each other.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
If it's taller than it is wide, I'd go with an arboreal spider. A screened lid should give enough ventilation, although if you put a terrestrial T in there, this could pose a danger since they aren't great climbers like arboreals and could get their claws stuck in the screen.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think you would love a Pokie. They have the most beautiful color patterns of any of the T's (IMHO). Arboreals are really a great change up from terrestrials in many ways. Only downside is speed and the bite if you are unlikely. Not to be handled of course. But if you want to try something a little more docile, I would also recommend a Psalmopeus cambridgei (Trinidad Chevron). Classic T. Mine is a lot more docile and less nervous than my Pokies.

Latest posts