• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

100s of beetles

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have 100s of these little beetles cleaning up in my roach colonies. Besides feeding them to slings what else can I do with them??? I use to just toss them out in the trash on garbage day...;):D
20190120_113150.jpg

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're Dermestid beetles by the looks, so you could clean some skeletons!
I have a little colony that I keep going by feeding half dried meat and throwing bones in now and then, I figure once I live further out in the bush I might find skulls and bones I want to clean to use as decorations. People do use them as part of clean up crews in bio--active enclosures, they won't touch living flesh.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Dave Jay Worried about egg sacks or a molting T....otherwise I'd throw them in my enclosures.
I'm pretty sure that a moulting T would be ok, but I've got no idea if they'd eat webbing and be a danger to an egg sac. Maybe I'll put some webbing in the tub and find out.
They won't eat fresh meat, I know that, no interest at all in a nice fresh bit of steak, leave it out for a day to dry and they're all over it.
Just the fact that commercial live food producers use them in all their breeding colonies indicates that they don't eat eggs, pupae or freshly moulted insects otherwise they'd be a liability. My colony is just from what I pick out of the tubs of crickets I buy.
Now and then they are offered for sale for taxidermy purposes, perhaps there's a market there? You'd need a lot to clean a deer head or similar that's for sure. When I researched their care the majority of information was from taxidermy sites and forums.
Personally I can't see there being enough dead flesh in a tarantula enclosure to substain a population.

Latest posts