• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zoo Med Excavator substrate?

Tina Banana

3 Year Member
I went to the pet store to grab some new substrate for my T, the staff there recommended me this. I thought it was pretty awesome to make my T her own hideout and all. But after mixing it with water, leaving to dry, when it becomes rock hard i don't think she can burrow in it. After forming the wanted hideout, can i use it dry as a bedding? I'm worried that it might cause scratches hurting my T's abdomen.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have several T's in enclosures using this exact substrate. They can burrow in it. Make sure you have a softer substrate on the top as they like to push it around and reshape your shaped enclosure. Also need something to hold humidity like coco coir, vermiculite, etc.

Tina Banana

3 Year Member
I have several T's in enclosures using this exact substrate. They can burrow in it. Make sure you have a softer substrate on the top as they like to push it around and reshape your shaped enclosure. Also need something to hold humidity like coco coir, vermiculite, etc.
I came across several discussions about the Zoo Med Excavator at different forums, someone said he/she was worried that the sand and dust may clog the T's mouth and booklungs. May i ask what kind of soft substrate do you top it off for your Ts?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Generally, I go with a 2/3 coco coir (i.e. Eco Earth) and 1/3 vermiculite. Never had a problem with any T's using the Zoo Med Excavator.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Interesting will have to look into this. I tried finding vermiculite but all i ever find are mammoth sized bags of it. I would like to find a smaller more manageable bag.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tough to find. I have found smaller bags of the larger grain but had to bite the bullet and get a mammoth bag. Surprising how fast you go through it though.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hopefully, someone else on the forum has better advice on this one? I had to get mine from a gardening supply company.

Latest posts