• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yucky superworm!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was cutting superworms in half to feed my newly molted Ts (almost 2weeks already though). The smaller boehmie carried its piece to its hide and apparently could not finish it, being just 3/4th of an inch in size.

Upon cleaning up the leftovers, I observed maggots moving inside the shell of the superworm. There are about 5 or more, as these are very small but can be observed by naked eye.

Has anyone observed this also? Could this be fruit flies or the like? Would this be harmful to the T?

Hope you can share your views, thanks in advance.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If they're INSIDE of the superworm then they're definitely not fruit flies. I would not feed something with maggots on it or in it to my tarantulas.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was cutting superworms in half to feed my newly molted Ts (almost 2weeks already though). The smaller boehmie carried its piece to its hide and apparently could not finish it, being just 3/4th of an inch in size.

Upon cleaning up the leftovers, I observed maggots moving inside the shell of the superworm. There are about 5 or more, as these are very small but can be observed by naked eye.

Has anyone observed this also? Could this be fruit flies or the like? Would this be harmful to the T?

Hope you can share your views, thanks in advance.
Never seen this before..and I feed my spiders dubias and worms exclusively. That's gross, and I wouldn't wan't any filthy fly spawn near my tarantulas either..florid fles like superworm containers, I've noticed, as well as cricket enclosures, because they feed on the dead and decaying matter in them. I've lifted the lid to my worms tub and had one fly out a few times.. Florid flies are also what spread a lot of terrible crap to our tarantulas, or so it's theorized, and it sounds logical to me. I think I'm going to feed dubias exclusively. One food source, one colony to keep clean and observe for pests, it makes more and more sense to me. In answer to your question RCT, I don't know...it could be, if there are harmful pests being carried and transmitted through the larva...like nematodes or bacteria or something. You say this was right after cutting the worm open, as in, the larva were in the worms when you cut them? I'd cut a few more open and look, or throw the container out and buy fresh ones. You just had a sling die so I would be suspicious of things like that if I were you..

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The maggots were not there at first, after overnight and upon cleaning up was when I observed it. I have rehoused the T though and have thrown the old substrate as it was grossing me out.

I also transferred the boehmei to a smaller enclosure since all the other same-sized Ts that arrived are in a similar container. I want them to be uniform. :rolleyes:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Never seen this before..and I feed my spiders dubias and worms exclusively. That's gross, and I wouldn't wan't any filthy fly spawn near my tarantulas either..florid fles like superworm containers, I've noticed, as well as cricket enclosures, because they feed on the dead and decaying matter in them. I've lifted the lid to my worms tub and had one fly out a few times.. Florid flies are also what spread a lot of terrible crap to our tarantulas, or so it's theorized, and it sounds logical to me. I think I'm going to feed dubias exclusively. One food source, one colony to keep clean and observe for pests, it makes more and more sense to me. In answer to your question RCT, I don't know...it could be, if there are harmful pests being carried and transmitted through the larva...like nematodes or bacteria or something. You say this was right after cutting the worm open, as in, the larva were in the worms when you cut them? I'd cut a few more open and look, or throw the container out and buy fresh ones. You just had a sling die so I would be suspicious of things like that if I were you..

I bought this batch of superworms after my sling died and in preparation of the coming Ts so no connection to the death. These batch of worms might have been infected already at the LPS as there are no flies about in my container. But I have not observed the maggots while cutting them up. Just juicy stuff came out when I was cutting the worm in half.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought this batch of superworms after my sling died and in preparation of the coming Ts so no connection to the death. These batch of worms might have been infected already at the LPS as there are no flies about in my container. But I have not observed the maggots while cutting them up. Just juicy stuff came out when I was cutting the worm in half.
Ahh, and I saw your other post now too, so no worries. I guess I'd just make sure to remove the remains when the spider is done, rather than coming back in 24 hrs. Or make the cut pieces smaller, so the spider doesn't leave half to attract pests, maybe. Also, if it becomes a problem you could consider laying a screen over the vents during feeding.

Latest posts