• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Your Favourite Tarantula YouTubers

TokeHound

I wanted some suggestions on some Tarantula YouTubers. My favourite channels are The Dark Den and The Tarantula Collective. I also have watched a lot of Exotics Lair. What are your favourite T YouTubers?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Richard (Collective) has done two videos that are at least as good as anything on Nat Geo. They are that good. He has done a nature video on A. chalcodes and another on B. boehemei . His top 10 lists are fun too. He takes his info from Fear Not Tarantulas, Arachnoboards, and us of course.....so the info is well vetted.

Jeef

Tom Moran. Very concise stuff. It isn't too slick or over produced and that suits me fine.

Richard from Tarantula Collective is good too. He does mostly top 10 lists, but he'll address topics I don't see anyone else talking about. He recently did one about bio-active enclosures and how they may not always be appropriate. I thought that was pretty cool.

After that it's a mixed bag and more for entertainment than information. Dave's Little Beasties is cool, Tarantula Kat is ok, Dark Den is all right. I don't watch any of them as much as the first two, but they aren't bad if you are just looking to see some spiders.

TokeHound

Tom Moran. Very concise stuff. It isn't too slick or over produced and that suits me fine.

Richard from Tarantula Collective is good too. He does mostly top 10 lists, but he'll address topics I don't see anyone else talking about. He recently did one about bio-active enclosures and how they may not always be appropriate. I thought that was pretty cool.

After that it's a mixed bag and more for entertainment than information. Dave's Little Beasties is cool, Tarantula Kat is ok, Dark Den is all right. I don't watch any of them as much as the first two, but they aren't bad if you are just looking to see some spiders.
I have been hearing Tom Moran's name tossed around in the community quite a bit. I'll have to check him out

timc

3 Year Member
I have been hearing Tom Moran's name tossed around in the community quite a bit. I'll have to check him out
Yes you will, he is the gold standard for tarantula information on YouTube. Look him up and prepare to lose a whole weekend watching his videos. I used to watch the big YouTubers (tarantula collective, kat, dark den, Dave’s LBs) a lot more but it all really get repetitive for me, especially since they don’t do a lot of feeding videos once they become content creators. On the flip side, I can’t stand exotics lair and all he does is feeding videos from what I understand. Apparently I’m a hard man to please. Shout out to tarantula haven though. That guy doesn’t get enough love in the community and puts out some pretty good stuff.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm glad Alex from Tarantula Haven is back, his videos were informative.

I agree Toms videos are some of the most valuable, IMO, based on the non-sensational presentation and practical, experiential knowledge he shares in a no nonsense manner. I also appreciate that he provides updates on his individuals, keeping and husbandry over time.

Last edited:

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Tom Moran also has a podcast as well as Richard and Tarantula Kat who have teamed up for a podcast.
Tarantula Heaven is also good and delves into topics sometimes not covered widely. She publishes a tarantula magazine with each issue species specific and she published a book in tarantula keeping.

NorseDad

I watch Tarantula Collective and Tom Moran for info. I watch Dark Den for his DIY stuff. I watch Tarantula Haven to support a fellow Floridian keeper. I started into the hobby after watching Exotics Lair watering videos, but have since stopped. Being much more knowledgeable than I was 3 years ago, I cannot stand how irresponsible he is sometimes. I think it sets a bad example for keepers.

VaporRyder

I wanted some suggestions on some Tarantula YouTubers. My favourite channels are The Dark Den and The Tarantula Collective. I also have watched a lot of Exotics Lair. What are your favourite T YouTubers?
I like Tom (our Tom) Moran, Dave’s Little Beasties, Tarantula Kat, Tarantula Collective (Richard) the most. It’s important to remember that not everyone on YouTube is necessarily ‘doing it right’. :D

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I watch Tarantula Collective and Tom Moran for info. I watch Dark Den for his DIY stuff. I watch Tarantula Haven to support a fellow Floridian keeper. I started into the hobby after watching Exotics Lair watering videos, but have since stopped. Being much more knowledgeable than I was 3 years ago, I cannot stand how irresponsible he is sometimes. I think it sets a bad example for keepers.
Yeah I watched Exotics Lair a few times then gave up. Too much drama and he comes across to me as irresponsible.

TokeHound

Yeah I watched Exotics Lair a few times then gave up. Too much drama and he comes across to me as irresponsible.
I agree with both of you. Exotics Lair is what got me into Tarantula Keeping but then I started researching even more, and I have grown to not like his videos at all now Lol

TokeHound

I also noticed Exotic Lair's enclosures are always containing some mold or mushrooms. He says it's hard to maintain, but other Tarantula Keepers don't seem to have that problem.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I also noticed Exotic Lair's enclosures are always containing some mold or mushrooms. He says it's hard to maintain, but other Tarantula Keepers don't seem to have that problem.
Yeah, I can’t remember where he lives, but it is very hot and humid where he lives. Still, I would think there are things he could do to mitigate mold.

Tarantula Trooper

Just recently started back keeping Ts again after a long hiatus (20 years) and I will say I watch Exotics Lair to learn what not to do and Tom Moran, Richard (TC), Dave's Little Beasties, on proper Tarantula husbandry and care. I' like, in some in respects, that Exoctics lair got me back interested in T's again but only after a guy I work with we somehow got on subject. Exoctics lair never seems to be prepared for whatever endeavor he is attempting to accomplish. I sometimes wonder if he does this on purpose though...LOL. Not gonna hate him though! after all he likes what all of us here like.....Right!!

TokeHound

Well, and I started not liking the idea that Exotics Lair is so secretive about not showing his face or sharing what country he lives in. It's like, what are you hiding exactly? Richard, Petko, and Tom don't have a problem showing their face or sharing where they are located. Not asking for dude's address or anything, but I just don't understand the secrecy.

x_raphael_xx

I like his content, he has some beautiful spiders, but I don’t like him. There was a video where his girlfriend rushed a male into the females enclosure to breed them, and the male was grabbed.

I like Tarantula Kat, Tarantula Collective, Daves little beasties, Tarantula haven and Dark den (whos sadly dropped down to posting once a week rather than twice).

Tarantula Trooper

Well, and I started not liking the idea that Exotics Lair is so secretive about not showing his face or sharing what country he lives in. It's like, what are you hiding exactly? Richard, Petko, and Tom don't have a problem showing their face or sharing where they are located. Not asking for dude's address or anything, but I just don't understand the secrecy.
I can understand maybe not wanting to be recognized by people you don't know. Whatever country he is in may frown upon what he's doing. Lol I feel he is from the Phillipine Islands maybe? Anybody else care to guess!

Latest posts