• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Young OBT enclosure.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have just acquired a 3-4cm OBT free of charge. On some sites 3-4cm seems to be a sling, on others a Juvinlie. So I am unsure how to describe it, other than as young.

But back to the housing. Currently it is in a container with about an inch of dry substrate. That is how it was given to me. But I want to do better. I have done some reading & I know they burrow at this age & mine certainly spends time burrowed & I feel it needs more substrate than it currently has.

I have a some 6 inch deep round food containers that are around 5 inches in diameter. I need to melt some holes in it. But I am thinking that is around 2.5 inches for burrowing & 3.5 inches for climbing. But will 3.5 inches of height be sufficient for a reasonble time period? As I do not want to rehouse an OBT too often. Although it seems fairly laid back.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Treat it as arboreal. I give mine only about 1" of substrate and a tall piece of cork bark with a piece of plastic plant hanging down. this will encourage it to web upwards rather than burrowing.
Mine is only slightly bigger than yours and it's in a 8x8x12" container

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Two 5-6" females living the semi arboreal life.
15721351017149062569286698000886.jpg
One gallon enclosures...dont know what that equals in metrics. Real close to a 8x8x12 in size...a bit smaller.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll get something slightly bigger & move it the once. The tub I was going to use is a 1.4 litre (0.3 gallon) container.

Edited to add, the one I was going to use is a poundland container.

KevTK

3 Year Member
Murphy's Law says if you set up an arboreal, it's going to want top be terrestrial and vica versa. Granted, mine is probably 5 or 6 years old now, but I still have it in a 12X12 with 3 inches of soil, and then lots of branches for anchor points. In the end it picked a spot under a branch but it's still above ground.

I like giving mine a lot of "head room". even if it's terrestrial. From watching mine, I feel that if it's in a short container, the spider will start taking the lid as the top of it's hide, and every time you open it to feed or water, it thinks your ripping the top off it's hide and mine always freaked out. With a higher container there's no more freaking out. Just my observations...

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts