• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yikes!!! I think someone is missing!

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
I think one of my B. emilia slings might have escaped. The sling is about 1/3" ( tiny) I'm not sure how.?! I haven't seen the sling (or any evidence of it) since I transferred it into a new enclosure. No burrow hole, not under the cork... I don't want to disturb the new home too much (in case she's in there). Any advise?? My plan is to keep offering food and water, just in case. I live in southern California so a B. emilia might even do okay ???? Am I going to find this giant loose T in my house someday?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What enclosure is it in? Or was it in i guess it is.

My son's B. Boehmei escaped from a Kritter Keeper using the handle hole and we found it hiding along the base shelf at the floor. He was just under 1/2" took my son about an hour to find him.

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
This was a plastic jar with a screw lid. I used a soldering iron to give vent holes, maybe one was to big? I have looked with a flashlight for well over an hour. I'm off tomorrow so I guess I'll be (carefully) moving the shelf to see if she is behind there. I don't want to squish her, should I wait for her to come out?

SasyStace

3 Year Member
pictures would be helpful, I would like to see the size of the enclosure- I see this sort of thing often with tiny slings in an enclosure that is too big- very easy to loose site of them, slings recover pretty easily if you have to move their home around- I would personally remove everything from the enclosure and ensure she is not hiding 1st.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A 1/3 " spider could very well get through the holes made by a standard sized soldering iron. That's why I like using a dremel. Pics?
I use 1/8" steelworking drill bit for all my ventilation holes. Nothing I have is small enough to squeeze through those.

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
Well she's definitely gone missing. I am having trouble loading pics, sorry. I emptied the enclosure, searched for days. Emptied the room of furniture. So here's to hoping She crawls out of hiding at 3". I'll try load pics soon, but it really is just recycled plastic jelly jar with vent holes that were too large for the sling I put in. My fault. I feel terrible. Live and learn, the hard way.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well she's definitely gone missing. I am having trouble loading pics, sorry. I emptied the enclosure, searched for days. Emptied the room of furniture. So here's to hoping She crawls out of hiding at 3". I'll try load pics soon, but it really is just recycled plastic jelly jar with vent holes that were too large for the sling I put in. My fault. I feel terrible. Live and learn, the hard way.
Sorry for your troubles, I hope it shows back up.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yep there isn't any soldering iron size I know of that would be small enough for something that small. It's happened to most of us at some point. Spiders can fit through some pretty small places!

Latest posts