• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yeti's (G.porteri) reaction or the adventures of Yeti vol.1

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know they aren't her prefered food but I thought I'd offer her one, she slapped it sending it scurrying away then showed her displeasure at sharing her enclosure with a 'roach'
fBqqe43m.jpg

eoBYtwQm.jpg

sMFL3NYm.jpg

sorry for bad quality grabbed the mini flashlight and my phone and had to take them quickly,
she's in her hide sulking and I took the nasty roach away lol

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol. funny. But im sure if she is hungry enough she would eat it. U just have her spoiled is all. lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She'll take a mealworm, regular or super, any size cricket that she can get her fangs into, but runs and threatens the dubia almost every time lol

SasyStace

3 Year Member
She'll take a mealworm, regular or super, any size cricket that she can get her fangs into, but runs and threatens the dubia almost every time lol

the only T's that I have that will eat the dubia is my OBT and GBB the others do the same thing and I sure hate the way they burrow it's a pain in the ass when they do not eat and you have to remove them :|

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the only T's that I have that will eat the dubia is my OBT and GBB the others do the same thing and I sure hate the way they burrow it's a pain in the ass when they do not eat and you have to remove them :|
yeah but i got to see my b. smithi dig one up. that was cool as hell. just makes u wonder how they know they r there sometimes. i think their sensory tools are a lot more sensitive than we think,.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
yeah but i got to see my b. smithi dig one up. that was cool as hell. just makes u wonder how they know they r there sometimes. i think their sensory tools are a lot more sensitive than we think,.

currently I have one that is trapped between the enclosure and the massive web dome made by my OBT it's been trapped and alive for about 2 weeks the only way I would be able to remove it would be to completely destroy the home of my OBT and that is just not going to happen LOL- I have Isopods- in my OBT tank so if the thing ever dies they will happily eat it up but that sucker is just sitting there pressed against the enclosure NOT dying.. hahaha damn things are tough. I wish she would just dig it up and have a midnight snack but that isn't happening :(

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
currently I have one that is trapped between the enclosure and the massive web dome made by my OBT it's been trapped and alive for about 2 weeks the only way I would be able to remove it would be to completely destroy the home of my OBT and that is just not going to happen LOL- I have Isopods- in my OBT tank so if the thing ever dies they will happily eat it up but that sucker is just sitting there pressed against the enclosure NOT dying.. hahaha damn things are tough. I wish she would just dig it up and have a midnight snack but that isn't happening :(
well it will eventually make a mistake and be lunch so. just think of it as a eventual snack sometime. lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can drop 3-4 mealworms in and they burrow, Yeti digs them up nearly every time,
I periodically have to fill the holes she leaves as they aren't burrows just hunting holes. Love that behavior.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can drop 3-4 mealworms in and they burrow, Yeti digs them up nearly every time,
I periodically have to fill the holes she leaves as they aren't burrows just hunting holes. Love that behavior.
yeah i think that is really cool.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Okay this gives me hope for sure! hoping that one morning I look in and the darn thing has been eaten ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So far no T's i have will eat a dubai. Wednesday is feeding day again. I only fed the Genic a small Lateralis roach sunday, so maybe he'll take a dubai. I tried feeding one to the GBB Sunday (first meal after his molt a week ago) and he ran from it. So i removed it and tried an adult Lateralis and he was on it like Augustus Gloop on a chocolate bar.

Luckily I only have 4 or 5 Dubai left, about 1/8 - 3/8", so not a big loss if the Genic won't eat one either. I have a couple friends here with lizards but they refuse to use roaches, even though they're not invasive.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
So far no T's i have will eat a dubai. Wednesday is feeding day again. I only fed the Genic a small Lateralis roach sunday, so maybe he'll take a dubai. I tried feeding one to the GBB Sunday (first meal after his molt a week ago) and he ran from it. So i removed it and tried an adult Lateralis and he was on it like Augustus Gloop on a chocolate bar.

Luckily I only have 4 or 5 Dubai left, about 1/8 - 3/8", so not a big loss if the Genic won't eat one either. I have a couple friends here with lizards but they refuse to use roaches, even though they're not invasive.

the best luck I have is with crickets and super worms none of them really seem to care for the roaches -

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the best luck I have is with crickets and super worms none of them really seem to care for the roaches -
Same, the avic will rush down then paw her bottom like she's flicking hairs, then go huddle behind the bark, the porteri slaps at them then threatens. If I nudge it towards her she takes off to her hide. And that's the ONLY time she ever uses it. She'll sit on it but not in it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
at least your porteri is giving threat poses, or i guess Eeeek poses. My boehmei just runs for the farthest possible spot it can get to away from the roach. I wish i could have been here to watch it destroy it's hide trying to get away from one.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@kormath
I just this minute got done reading that, our babies have huge roach issues, I swear that porteri sulks after I offer her one. That T NEVER uses her hide, shes a pet rock most of the time, offer a roach and after her mighty displays of bravery, she scurries to the back of her hide and stress huddles lol

Latest posts