• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

yet another newbie

Saddle-Tramp

3 Year Member
Hi
my name is Gary, and i'm completely new to this hobby,
I got into it by complete accident, my spider was in a glass jar in a cupboard when I moved into my bedsit.
I know nothing about it not even what species but I love it and have enjoyed watching it for the last month building its underground den.
I keep her in a medium sized cricket keeper that I had spare,

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Gary, welcome to the hobby but let me warn you it is very addictive.:D
If you can post a picture I'm sure someone will identify it for you.

Saddle-Tramp

3 Year Member
Hi Gary, welcome to the hobby but let me warn you it is very addictive.:D
If you can post a picture I'm sure someone will identify it for you.
Hello,
now you tell me its addictive, I've just bought my second T,
a Antillies pink toe spiderling,
The one that came with the flat is about an inch leg span, brown colour, with white stripes on its knees, sorry I cant get a photo because its always under ground, but when I do i'll post a pic or two.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good choice for a 2nd T. There are so many Ts that your 1st could be that a photo is the best way to tell.

Saddle-Tramp

3 Year Member
managed to grab a pic, not a real good one but best I can get for now.

Attachments

• WIN_20180402_15_29_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180402_15_29_23_Pro.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 33

Saddle-Tramp

3 Year Member
This is a better pic, she's tunneled from the hide under the water bowl and along the front of the enclosure, she's also webbed up the entrance of the tunnel.

Attachments

• WIN_20180403_19_58_45_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180403_19_58_45_Pro.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 26

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is a better pic, she's tunneled from the hide under the water bowl and along the front of the enclosure, she's also webbed up the entrance of the tunnel.
Still blurry...get In There close and focus with the flash. If you move slow and dont cause any air disturbances the T wont know your there (poor eyesight). Dont worry it wont attack you...:D

Saddle-Tramp

3 Year Member
Still blurry...get In There close and focus with the flash. If you move slow and dont cause any air disturbances the T wont know your there (poor eyesight). Dont worry it wont attack you...:D

I'm not worried by it, i've had it on my hand few times, its that i dont get to see it, as t spends at least 80% of the time under ground, i'm using just a webcam mounted inside the tank

Saddle-Tramp

3 Year Member
Welcome!
Was the one you caught actually a tarantula?

Hi Dave, to answer your question, its definately a Tarantula i asked mike my local expert round today, he has handled it and this is his verdict,
he has said ts hard to tell excactly due to its juvenile size, but to him it looks like its a Grammostola aureostriata Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula.
He also gave me some tips on housing (ie) i did'nt have enough substrate and needed to reduce the light in its enclosure..

Latest posts