• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yet another new enthusiast

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there , about to get my first T after a few months of research, glad to be here and looking forward to reading and learning .

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wanted either a Lasiodora parahybana, or Brachypelma albopilosum
(never going to remember these names, Been calling them the bird eater and the curly)
Trying to go with a good beginning T until I figure it all out, fairly sure its going to be a learning curve even with the research.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Best get used to using the scientific names ;) hate common names because they create a lot of confusion. Some species have multiple common names, but every species has only one scientific name. It makes identifying species simpler.

Go with theN.albopilosum. LPs are more intermediate species as they're pretty skittish.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome. I agree with Chubbs, the B. albopilosum is your best bet, placid, great feeders and just adorable.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the welcomes, honestly happy to be here. :)
I have to admit to leaning in the direction of the B. albopilosum simply on visual appeal. Eventually want a 'few' but only after being sure I can give them what they need.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
again, thank you all for the hello and the advice

Brachypelma albopilosum (Curly Hair) 1/3-1/2" ORDERED! so excited :D
did the deal with the little habitat as I figure I can use it for the next baby,
Somehow I'm sure there will be more in my future lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You won't regret it. Don't be surprised if it burrows to begin with. Mine made loads of tunnels through the substrate but I could see it through the sides of the container and it won my heart with its constant scurrying and digging so much that I now have 3. Once they get to around 1" dls they spend more and more time on the surface.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cant wait,
Just hope I do well with one this small, ordered pinhead roaches for it as well.
Fingers crossed for zero problems ^^

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can't see why you'd have any problems, they are very easy to keep and good feeders. If you have any questions just ask away, there's always someone around on here to give advice.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm absolutely counting on that, it said they've been feeding on the pin head rusty reds so ordered those as well, so everything should be good ^^

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wanted either a Lasiodora parahybana, or Brachypelma albopilosum
(never going to remember these names, Been calling them the bird eater and the curly)
Trying to go with a good beginning T until I figure it all out, fairly sure its going to be a learning curve even with the research.
The Lp is a great sp to own, as well as the curly. Just remember each spider has it's own personality, and the curly hair may be bitey, while the Lp may be very laid back, as opposed to their "typical" descriptions. I suggest the Lp, they grow faster than any T I've ever seen, they eat almost anytime you want to feed them, and they get hugely impressive in size. My current favorite T is my curly hair though, oddly enough. She completely ignores my presence, and I mean completely. She acts like royalty. Her name is Princess :) Shes about 3" Edit: Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but I still suggest you grab an Lp :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've got a Grammostola rosea and the Brachypelma albopilosum on the way! Just small slings,
hoping for a nice arboreal and the LP as soon as I know I can keep them happy and healthy. ^^
I dont want dozens but a few would be great!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm glad I got them, they are more active then I thought they'd be what with redecorating and all ^^
planning my next two but not till these are a bit larger. Extremely happy with them both.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm absolutely enthralled with watching them, I could cheerfully have a dozen of the B. albopilosum.
Its not very attractive as yet,
but more then makes up for it with the digging and rearranging.