• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wrong enclosure?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm back with what I hope isn't another silly question. For the past two months I've had a pink toe that lives in a 10-gallon terrarium that opens from the top, but she hasn't even begun to spin any webs. I'm thinking I need to go to one of those enclosures that opens from the front. From the pics I've seen the front-opening ones show webs that attach not only to the side (foliage) but also the top. I have a feeling that if she does start to make a web that would pose a problem if it attaches to the top. Any thoughts or ideas? Also, how long on average does it take for a T to start one? Thanx for any help.
:T:
Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pictures would help, i am guessing you have it set up like a terrestrial, but for better information on arboreal care, it is best to ask @sdsnybny

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Pictures would help, i am guessing you have it set up like a terrestrial, but for better information on arboreal care, it is best to ask @sdsnybny
I'm trying to figger out how to upload a pic from my phone. The file size (jpeg) is almost 4MB. The other thing is that I don't wanna post up a pic so big that it makes your screen explode. I've seen that with others and it makes it hard to look at.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
20180523_063513[1].jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Taller is better than wider. Avics are arboreal, other than the branch and the substrate height, the enclosure looks more suited for a terrestrial. You could make modifications to the lid and turn the enclosure on its side for it to function as an arboreal enclosure, but again I am not the best person to give arboreal enclosure advice quite yet. The member I mentioned above will be able to better inform you.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Taller is better than wider. Avics are arboreal, other than the branch and the substrate height, the enclosure looks more suited for a terrestrial. You could make modifications to the lid and turn the enclosure on its side for it to function as an arboreal enclosure, but again I am not the best person to give arboreal enclosure advice quite yet. The member I mentioned above will be able to better inform you.[/QU

As far as modifying the top to lay it on its side, I would probably have to engineer a new top somehow to prevent substrate and other stuff from dumping out. The examples I have seen specifically for arboreals are 8x8x12, with some a little wider and taller. This one I have is 12' high so I thought that would suffice for the height. My concern, however, is not how tall it is but rather the T possibly attaching a web to the top, regardless of height. That would pose a problem when removing the lid. I may end up having to get a front-opening enclosure to avoid that problem and just keep this one if I ever get a terrestrial.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You could use that enclosure if you had too but you need alot more stuff for it to climb on. The height is fine but because its so wide you need more branches and plants to climb on. My Avics have gone months without webbing after a transfer. They sometimes won't web until premolt.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Steve S. you have room to duplicate what @Arachnoclown did in the video quite a few times over if you extend what you have one the left wall (from our view) all the way across the back and even around the corner onto the right wall, I'm not any sort of tarantula expert but I think you could offer lots of suitable habitat in that tank.
Arachnoclown, I used polished stones like you have in my scorpion enclosures and I noticed at least once a day individual scorpions would be on or next to the stone. In close up pictures you could see that although the surface of the substrate was dry there were always droplets of water around the base of the stone. I now use them instead of any kind of surface water or water dish in my scorpion enclosures. My Urodacus elongatus female is kept on a surface of dry sand, the tank has a false bottom so her scrape will have some humidity but the surface is bone dry. I set up an area of polished stones like you had before covering it with moss, intending to mist the stones as they are one of the few australian scorps that drink free water. I haven't added water at all, not even to the false bottom, for more than 6 months but the stones are always wet just by collecting condensation from the air. Every day I see her standing on them or sipping from them. At first I thought you had noticed the same thing but you covered them with moss. I bet the moss on the stones would survive drying for a lot longer than the moss on the substrate. It would be interesting to see if a tarantula would appreciate an area of polished stones as much as some of my scorpions do.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Steve S. you have room to duplicate what @Arachnoclown did in the video quite a few times over if you extend what you have one the left wall (from our view) all the way across the back and even around the corner onto the right wall, I'm not any sort of tarantula expert but I think you could offer lots of suitable habitat in that tank.
Arachnoclown, I used polished stones like you have in my scorpion enclosures and I noticed at least once a day individual scorpions would be on or next to the stone. In close up pictures you could see that although the surface of the substrate was dry there were always droplets of water around the base of the stone. I now use them instead of any kind of surface water or water dish in my scorpion enclosures. My Urodacus elongatus female is kept on a surface of dry sand, the tank has a false bottom so her scrape will have some humidity but the surface is bone dry. I set up an area of polished stones like you had before covering it with moss, intending to mist the stones as they are one of the few australian scorps that drink free water. I haven't added water at all, not even to the false bottom, for more than 6 months but the stones are always wet just by collecting condensation from the air. Every day I see her standing on them or sipping from them. At first I thought you had noticed the same thing but you covered them with moss. I bet the moss on the stones would survive drying for a lot longer than the moss on the substrate. It would be interesting to see if a tarantula would appreciate an area of polished stones as much as some of my scorpions do.
I really just use the stones so the coco fiber won't stick to the bottom of the dish when I overflow it weekly.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
People do use those 10 gallon tanks but for arboreal species, they are stood up with the opening facing front.

I'm not sure who sells the conversions that you put where the lid used to go so you can open the cage normally.

One part is a rigid piece that holds back the substrate. The other is a door that opens swinging down from the top and hinged on the bottom.

Here's a video on how to do the conversion yourself.

I think it's easier to just buy an ExoTerra nano and be done with it.

Latest posts