1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wrong enclosure?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Enclosures' started by 5150, May 22, 2018.

1. 5150

5150 Active Member

Hi everyone, I'm back with what I hope isn't another silly question. For the past two months I've had a pink toe that lives in a 10-gallon terrarium that opens from the top, but she hasn't even begun to spin any webs. I'm thinking I need to go to one of those enclosures that opens from the front. From the pics I've seen the front-opening ones show webs that attach not only to the side (foliage) but also the top. I have a feeling that if she does start to make a web that would pose a problem if it attaches to the top. Any thoughts or ideas? Also, how long on average does it take for a T to start one? Thanx for any help.
    :T:
    Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
  2. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

Pictures would help, i am guessing you have it set up like a terrestrial, but for better information on arboreal care, it is best to ask @sdsnybny
  3. 5150

5150 Active Member

I'm trying to figger out how to upload a pic from my phone. The file size (jpeg) is almost 4MB. The other thing is that I don't wanna post up a pic so big that it makes your screen explode. I've seen that with others and it makes it hard to look at.
  4. 5150

5150 Active Member

20180523_063513[1].jpg
  5. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

Taller is better than wider. Avics are arboreal, other than the branch and the substrate height, the enclosure looks more suited for a terrestrial. You could make modifications to the lid and turn the enclosure on its side for it to function as an arboreal enclosure, but again I am not the best person to give arboreal enclosure advice quite yet. The member I mentioned above will be able to better inform you.
    5150 likes this.
  6. 5150

5150 Active Member

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  7. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

You could use that enclosure if you had too but you need alot more stuff for it to climb on. The height is fine but because its so wide you need more branches and plants to climb on. My Avics have gone months without webbing after a transfer. They sometimes won't web until premolt.
    5150 likes this.
  8. Arachnoclown

Remember they live in the tree tops so if you emulate that in there it will be happy.
    5150 likes this.
  9. Arachnoclown

I use 8x8x12 exoterra enclosures for my Avics. You can add more plants then this one but this video was for a old girl and I wanted to make it easier for her to hunt.
  10. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

@Steve S. you have room to duplicate what @Arachnoclown did in the video quite a few times over if you extend what you have one the left wall (from our view) all the way across the back and even around the corner onto the right wall, I'm not any sort of tarantula expert but I think you could offer lots of suitable habitat in that tank.
    Arachnoclown, I used polished stones like you have in my scorpion enclosures and I noticed at least once a day individual scorpions would be on or next to the stone. In close up pictures you could see that although the surface of the substrate was dry there were always droplets of water around the base of the stone. I now use them instead of any kind of surface water or water dish in my scorpion enclosures. My Urodacus elongatus female is kept on a surface of dry sand, the tank has a false bottom so her scrape will have some humidity but the surface is bone dry. I set up an area of polished stones like you had before covering it with moss, intending to mist the stones as they are one of the few australian scorps that drink free water. I haven't added water at all, not even to the false bottom, for more than 6 months but the stones are always wet just by collecting condensation from the air. Every day I see her standing on them or sipping from them. At first I thought you had noticed the same thing but you covered them with moss. I bet the moss on the stones would survive drying for a lot longer than the moss on the substrate. It would be interesting to see if a tarantula would appreciate an area of polished stones as much as some of my scorpions do.
    5150 and Arachnoclown like this.
  11. Arachnoclown

I really just use the stones so the coco fiber won't stick to the bottom of the dish when I overflow it weekly.
    Dave Jay and 5150 like this.
  12. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

I figured that but I just thought I'd share my observations, it could be something others want to experiment with.
    5150 and Arachnoclown like this.
  13. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Am I the only one here thats had multiple avics that dont web? Except for a molt mat?
  14. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

People do use those 10 gallon tanks but for arboreal species, they are stood up with the opening facing front.

I'm not sure who sells the conversions that you put where the lid used to go so you can open the cage normally.

One part is a rigid piece that holds back the substrate. The other is a door that opens swinging down from the top and hinged on the bottom.

Here's a video on how to do the conversion yourself.

I think it's easier to just buy an ExoTerra nano and be done with it.
    5150 and Dave Jay like this.
  15. 5150

5150 Active Member

That's what I'm gonna do. Buy an Exo-Terra and be done with it.
    Whitelightning777 and Dave Jay like this.