• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would these make good enclosures?

RachelC

3 Year Member
These have been popping up on FB marketplace for a while now, and I’ve been debating: would they make good enclosures? Juvenile, of course.

Attachments

• AA2D0537-C677-4A13-AF57-7FA5C704A554.png
    AA2D0537-C677-4A13-AF57-7FA5C704A554.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • CDEF6132-1894-4815-92A8-B3B0D80EA8B3.png
    CDEF6132-1894-4815-92A8-B3B0D80EA8B3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 99

TheVez2

3 Year Member
I've got a few Ts in these. Depending on how you set them up, they can be used for terrestrials or arboreals. I bought mine at Dollar Tree. Walmart also sells larger ones that are a gallon in size that you could use for larger Ts.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can go to http://www.roundvents.com to get the 2 inch vents that go into the lid on top. You need a 2" drill hole saw bit to make the hole.

If you went that route, it would greatly aid air flow. The screw lids are opaque and could create a pinch hazard for the T is it doesn't get out of the way when it's tightened up.

The clear rectangular boxes from hobby lobby or purpose built ones are probably easier in the long run.

FWIW, all my enclosures are built as such, no improvised ones.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can go to http://www.roundvents.com to get the 2 inch vents that go into the lid on top. You need a 2" drill hole saw bit to make the hole.

If you went that route, it would greatly aid air flow. The screw lids are opaque and could create a pinch hazard for the T is it doesn't get out of the way when it's tightened up.

The clear rectangular boxes from hobby lobby or purpose built ones are probably easier in the long run.

FWIW, all my enclosures are built as such, no improvised ones.
Sterilite bins save space for more new additions. (I will be at 30 Tarantulas with my next order).

As for the topic, those would be good for fossorial species or arboreals. Even if you have neither, it is good to have extra enclosures on hand.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless the sterilites are crystal clear, I personally would steer clear of them, especially for larger more aggressive or defensive tarantulas!!

If it's something even hotter and you can't see what you're doing (wandering spider -- centipedes -- scorpions) that might be the last thing you see, or in that case don't see!!

I should note that even some of the big names who use opaque containers are trying to phase them out for clarity. That's much easier to do with 3 spiders versus 300 spiders.

Jamie's has excellent enclosures that are good starting point for yours. You can add feeding ports and extra ventilation quite easily.

She also sells hardware like hinges and vents etc.