• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

would one of those big cheese ball containers work for an 3.5in avic

Logan D

3 Year Member
cheese ball.jpg

LauraMI

3 Year Member
See them used all the time. But I will say the plastic gets grungy & easily scratched. If you're a collector on a smaller scale, look for a glass one. Not very expensive & more attractive. This one cost me $18 a few years ago from a reptile expo:
image.jpg
Add plants from a craft store & you have a show-piece...not a storage container.
Troll Craigslist too in the Pet section under Community. Always small, cheap options there.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
Out of curiosity, as I notice many people do it, why use a plastic container?

I can only think they cheaper and in some cases are a by product of something else one could buy-like the "cheese ball" container? Any other good reasons I might be missing?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I will try and answer as logically as possible
- Does the type of container matter ?
Yes,to the owner.
- Does the looks or setup aesthetically matter to the T ?
Only if the Human is nicknamed T,since the T requires little a water supply a hide correct humidity and food.
- Will the T be happier in a beautiful setup,opposed to an ugly one ?
T's don't have fashion sense,no where in the wild do you find a clean sterile or beautified environment. They live in nature, nature is as dirty as it gets looking at some people feel towards dirt.
- If I continuously clean my enclosure it will look better,and the T will be healthier.
This is very debatable,since a T spends a lot of time making a burrow or home. So you might feel the poop now and then against the glass irritates you,or the setup you've done has been bulldozed and needs rearranging but isn't it worse bothering the T over and over ? Why doesn't my T make a new burrow ? Cry sniff cry .... Because you bother it so many times,what's good for your eye or to show off to others isn't necessarily good for the T.

I've found if a T is truly happy,it will make a hide or burrow and just go about its daily routine. Don't think we can reinvent nature,if it works it works. So no matter what enclosure type,just make sure it suites the specimen. If the enclosure type is correct,it has a hide suited for the specimen even if its just an item he/she could use as a hide it has a water source food and the temp and humidity is correct why does it need anything else ? You can beautify your enclosure of course it will looking stunning,won't stay stunning T's don't clean up afterwards but is it a must ? I have to say no. We aren't here for a beauty contest,we are here to enjoy a mutual interest and love for tarantulas. So if your enclosure or setup,is uglier in your opinion your judging yourself in the incorrect way. I won't judge you as a hobbyist to the the beauty of the setup or enclosure,but the health of your T's and how they've adapted to your setups. We are hobbyists not fashion designers,and I would like to see a shred of evidence that a beautified setup impacts to a T's well being.

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have also adapted my arboreal enclosures in a way that suites my Avicularia or other genera that are arboreal,which I won't be able to do with normal enclosures. I have tested this with poecilotheria lampropelma and different specimens within each genus,and I have had more than favourable results so I will stick to it since the proof is in the pudding.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I know I prefer plastic as its easy to add cross ventilation, light weight & easy to move around. But glass and acrylic enclosures make nicer displays.

Latest posts