• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Would a GBB chew through a metal screen on lid?

ALD

3 Year Member
I have a set up ready to go to bring home my first T.
I have read T's can chew through mesh screens.
The one on my Zilla 5 1/2 critter cage is metal.
Will this be okay?
Some have mentioned removing screen and replacing with
Plexi-glass. I am not crafty.
Will I be okay with the enclosure as is?
Have you seen them chew through metal screens or is this only
a concern with mesh.
Thanks in advance.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The only spider of mine that chews is my big female Lp. She broke a fang chewing on a plastic top. It grew back completely normal, over a half inch long, next molt. No other sp I own chews on things, except prey. Should be fine. But. Gbb are semi arboreal, and if its fine mesh its possible they could get a claw stuck. I dont care for the fine mesh, large is fine.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The important thing is that the screen is bonded. Take a sewing needle and thread. Slide it through the screen. If it moves between the wires like dental floss, it's not bonded fully. If it won't go from one hole to another, you're good to go.

To bond a screen, I usually use urethane clear coat. Do one or two coats on both sides. Shake off excess if the holes are totally blocked.

Surface tension and capillary action will cause the liquid to fill in the space where the wires intersect at right angles.

The holes in the screen will take on a more circular appearance and the thread won't pass between them.

Let it dry fully for 24 hours. Place it in slightly hot distilled water to remove any trace fumes etc. It's easier to aim a spray can then to cut acrylic!!

If you look at bonded screens, it appears that the manufacturers have already done this themselves. There's drawbacks and advantages to both.

Beaker41

3 Year Member
For safe guarding screens you don’t have to be super crafty. Even something bery think like plastic from a cake topper or any blister packaging will do. My big momma LP is a notorious screen chewer and my a. Gents are about as bad.
https://imgur.com/ZvK33oG

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's funny that in 35 years, 100's of Ts and I've never had a T chew on a screen. Not saying it doesn't happen...ive seen videos. Maybe try feeding it???...my first thoughts would be it's hungry, wanting to breed or doesn't like it's living conditions???o_O

Latest posts