• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worth WAY more than 40 bucks!

Atx13

3 Year Member
Went to get some crickets... The pet shop manager asked me to come into the back, said he got a couple mean Tarantulas in today, and he didnt wanna deal with them...
I proceed to the back, where I I was shown these beauties!
Again, i'm a sucker for a Haplopelma!
They're both Female, and the bigger one MIGHT be gravid, guess we'll have to see.
Ignore their housing arrangements, I'm out of containers, sub. and hides.. but these will do until I pick some up.
I was thinking they might be H. Albostriatums, If anyone could get an I.D on em, that would be awesome. Gonna say they're H. Longipes until i get another opinion.
WP_000479.jpg
WP_000488.jpg
WP_000484.jpg
WP_000482.jpg

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are beautiful, how brilliant would that be if you get an egg sac . I never kept any haplopelma so can't help with id sorry but congratulations.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome!! Congrats on your new T's, they're lovely! Boy oh boy that is one big booty! Hope you get some slings :D

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Omg you better start thinking up names, you might need several hundred. Might wanna start collecting enclosures and hides and water dishes. Really hope it goes well, best of luck, you must be going mad with the excitement.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Certainly not Haplopelma albostriatum as it lacks the white vertical stripes down the legs and I don't believe it is longipes either as leg IV does not look long enough and the metatarsal scopula there is usually very prominent in longipes. It is definitely part of the minax group so either minax, vonwirthi or the sp. vietnam that is going about in the hobby at the moment. Very nice spiders anyway and hopefully you will get a sac.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Certainly not Haplopelma albostriatum as it lacks the white vertical stripes down the legs and I don't believe it is longipes either as leg IV does not look long enough and the metatarsal scopula there is usually very prominent in longipes. It is definitely part of the minax group so either minax, vonwirthi or the sp. vietnam that is going about in the hobby at the moment. Very nice spiders anyway and hopefully you will get a sac.
woah, thanks plessey, i did a little more research myself, and just based off an google image search, the two Haplopelmas that I just got, look alot like a Haplopelma Vonwirthi.. I have never seen this species before, but they're identical.
So i think its safe to assume they are infact H. Vonwirthi. I had a pretty good feeling they weren't Longipes.. but due to the small white stripes on their legs, i thought maybe H. Albostriatum, just not as bright as a freshly moulted one..

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hm, I thought I saw the Vert stripes , but looking at it again I agree with Plessey. ( iguess I let my eyes play tricks on me). I'd be shocked however if it turned out to be a Minax; so likely Vonwirthi.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Unfortunately until Volker Von Wirth's revision of Ornithoctoninae comes out there is no reliable way to distinguish between the species I mentioned (they may all turn out to be the same species) so for now Haplopelma sp. minax-group is probably the best name for your spider.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately until Volker Von Wirth's revision of Ornithoctoninae comes out there is no reliable way to distinguish between the species I mentioned (they may all turn out to be the same species) so for now Haplopelma sp. minax-group is probably the best name for your spider.

One of the biggest problems in this hobby imo. Taxonomy is a complete mess.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of the biggest problems in this hobby imo. Taxonomy is a complete mess.
Yes unfortunately hobby specimens are very rarely compared to type material so straight away there is going to be a lot of misidentified species in the hobby.
From the scientific side of it a lot of specimens were described over 100 years ago often from only one sex, using characters that nowadays are considered invalid (some were even just described as large, brown and hairy), type localities were often incorrect (sometimes even the wrong continent) and many holotypes have been lost or damaged. This makes it very hard for taxonomists today to try and sort things out especially when amateurs get involved and publish poor descriptions of new species adding to the problem. There is probably a lifetimes work involved in trying to undo the damage of G. Schmidt's work that was getting pumped out in Tarantulas of the World every 5 minutes. Fortunately though there are some very good taxonomists working on the major problem groups so things can only get better.

Atx13

3 Year Member
So a small update.. I managed to get some sizes on the new beasts... the bigger of the two(and possibly gravid one), measures around 6 1/4" to possibly 6 1/2"(of course this is measuring from front leg to the back leg with a little guess work since shes not completely stretched out). The smaller of the two is over 5 1/2" but smaller than 6", maybe 5 3/4" could be more accurate(measuring the same way).

Latest posts