• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wood for enclosure

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hey guys
So yesterday when I picked up the piece of wood in my G.pulchripes enclosure I noticed some mold growing on the bottom. I boiled it for about 2 hours this morning. Will it be okay if it just dries in the open?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys
So yesterday when I picked up the piece of wood in my G.pulchripes enclosure I noticed some mold growing on the bottom. I boiled it for about 2 hours this morning. Will it be okay if it just dries in the open?
Give it a couple days to dry and it should be fine. That should give it enough time to dry out on the inside as well which is important.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd give it at least a week to make sure it's dry through. What kind of wood are you using?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not sure to be honest. It was in the enclosure when I bought the T?
That would be an important thing to find out. The most commonly used bark is cork bark. Mopani wood is also used quite frequently as well. Don't know what type it is without seeing it, and even then, I can't guarantee anyone's gonna be able to tell you what kind it is just by looking at it. I don't like using outdoor wood for a variety of reasons.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That would be an important thing to find out. The most commonly used bark is cork bark. Mopani wood is also used quite frequently as well. Don't know what type it is without seeing it, and even then, I can't guarantee anyone's gonna be able to tell you what kind it is just by looking at it. I don't like using outdoor wood for a variety of reasons.
I didn't know they made indoor or outdoor wood :p Is that like the lady telling the hunters they should just get their meat from the store where they make it just like everyone else?

Cork bark is the most common. I've been wondering how cedar or redwood would work as their rot resistant, I've heard they less likely to mold also. I was out of cork bark on the Boehmei enclosure and it has a flat chunk of applewood from my smoking chips. I should probably change that out one of these days.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i think he was talking about wood u find outside in the woods not bought. lol and also DO NOT use cedar! it has oils in it that will kill tarantulas and other bugs. thats why they make cedar chests out of them to keep pest out of ur stuff.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i think he was talking about wood u find outside in the woods not bought. lol and also DO NOT use cedar! it has oils in it that will kill tarantulas and other bugs. thats why they make cedar chests out of them to keep pest out of ur stuff.
good point, i didn't think about the tannin in the wood. Not sure if it kills them but its a great repellent and smells much better than moth balls ;)

Latest posts