• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wondering what it is.

Booshaka

It was supposed to a bracypalma hamorii, but it looks slightly off. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190120_083303_HDR.jpg
    20190120_083303_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • 20190120_083329_HDR.jpg
    20190120_083329_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70

Nunua

3 Year Member
There are several species that are plain fleshy brown when small enough. For example my B. auratum, B. klaasi and B. albiceps look all pretty much like that at the moment.

Just wait few molts and you'll start seeing faint markings :)

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's over fed is what it is... I've lost slings before from internal ruptures that I couldn't pin point to anything else but overfeeding.
Its heartbreaking to lose slings-I lost a c.fimbratus sling once had it several months-moulted successfully several times and was a voracious feeder -webbed its enclosure up really well and was very active-was gutted to find it had died suddenly for no reason I could see?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How big are the crickets???

If my slings are already fat I wouldn't feed them a huge meal.

The biggest problem with new tarantula keepers is they are always in a hurry to feed their slings. Tarantulas are much different then any other pet that needs to be fed regularly. Slings can go weeks without eating. In fact in the wild they may go a month or more.

I'll share a true story with you. A few years ago I had a sling that just disappeared in its enclosure. The only thing that was in there was a small pinhead roach. I dumped all the substrate out on the table and nothing. I thought the roach ate it. I put all the soil back on the enclosure. About 2 months later I grabbed that enclosure to clean it out and put another sling in there and there was my sling sitting there. 2 months no food or water. It's still alive today.

Tarantulas are optimistic eaters. They dont realize that they are pets and we are taking care of them. Instinct tells them as slings...eat, eat, eat. When a abdomen gets 3 or 4 times the size of the carapace that's way too much. When they are around 2 times bigger then the carapace I stop feeding them.

Some Problems related with over feeding can be, Internal ruptures,
Drag wounds on abdomen.

It's not proven but I feel impaction can be caused from overfeeding. It's kinda the same thing as being constipated as a human. I had a T die from impaction and it was very well fed...

I hope I dont sound harsh that's not my intention. We as pet owners need to watch out for our 8 legged friends.

Booshaka

Thank you for the information! As i said my other T's are adults, abd if they dont snag their meals in an hour or so i take it out cause i know they are not hungry. My aviculara is the most picky for example she only eats once a month almost. My striped knee though will it weekly happily as ever. But with slings i had read it was important to keep them fed, but as with alot of information not everything you read is true. I appreciate the info and will draw back to feeding the slings once every few weeks then.