1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Witchetty Grub

Discussion in 'Invertebrate Pet Talk' started by Dave Jay, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

G'day, I was editing some pictures and came across these from last month and thought I'd share. This is the larvae of a large moth (I'll get the species name later), it is around 4" (10cm) in a resting pose, the body of the moth is slightly shorter. I exposed this one cutting off an acacia branch about head height. They are a traditional bush food, said to taste nut like when roasted but are also eaten raw (alive!).
  2. Dave Jay

3. Dave Jay

4. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

Yummy!!!:D
    Dustin Amack likes this.
  5. Dustin Amack

Dustin Amack Well-Known Member

Interesting, do you know wha they look like when thy morph out of pupa stage? I would try anything once ;)
    Dave Jay likes this.
  6. Dave Jay

Not my picture, but this is the species I think, Endoxyla leucomochla, it certainly looks like it. normal_Endoxyla_leucomochla.jpg The moths don't do much at all bar mate and sit around for days on end. You'll see one on a wall or more often screen doors and they'll be there for about a week not moving even though the door might be opened and closed dozens of times each day. They don't have working mouth parts so I guess once mated the males just wait to die and females wait for eggs to ripen enough to be laid. If you pick them up they don't fly, they just cling to you.
  7. Dustin Amack

Interesting! Thanks for the photo.
  8. Dave Jay

No worries, kids love them because they find a huge moth bigger than their hands. Usually the clinging freaks them out though, the legs are quite strong.
    Dustin Amack likes this.
  9. Dustin Amack

In my area we have what are called hummingbird moths that don't seem to be quit as big and are extremely fast flying. They are often confused for a hummingbird, hence the name. upload_2018-4-24_10-44-56.jpeg
    Dave Jay likes this.
  10. Dave Jay

They look nice! The witchetty grub ones usually look pretty tatty. I've never actually seen one fly, I guess they might be like some other insects and have local mating flight nights then that's it.
    Dustin Amack likes this.