• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will this enclosure suffice?

tarantallie

I actually bought this cage for a reptile but decided not to go the reptile route. Pardon my newbiness but will this enclosure do the trick. If not what are the suggested dimensions? What should it be constructed of?Basically what do you recommend if I should shy away from the cage I already have? ?blessings.

KenD

I actually bought this cage for a reptile but decided not to go the reptile route. Pardon my newbiness but will this enclosure do the trick. If not what are the suggested dimensions? What should it be constructed of?Basically what do you recommend if I should shy away from the cage I already have? ?blessings.
No, it won't. The tarsal claws of tarantulas can get caught in the mesh, and some specimens might be able to "chew" through the screen and escape. For more definite recommendations information on the size and species of the tarantula is needed.

Soulman

I don't think I would put a reptile in it.not a spider.

tarantallie

No, it won't. The tarsal claws of tarantulas can get caught in the mesh, and some specimens might be able to "chew" through the screen and escape. For more definite recommendations information on the size and species of the tarantula is needed.
Hello, what species of tarantulas is good for a novice?thanks

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the hobby, and the forum!

Hello, what species of tarantulas is good for a novice?thanks

Do your research, online and at your local tarantula shops, to see what is available near you and what is required to keep it alive. Be prepared BEFORE you buy your first T.

Species-wise, I would recommend you consider a new world terrestrial like T. albopilosum, G. rosea, etc.

That screened cage, no good.

Grandsouls

Coming from a noob in the hobby, long time researcher and fanatic, just finally starting to get into the hobby though. first tarantula was a G. Rosea I have had her over 10 years now.. Boring they may be, she has gone over a year without eating before. She is aggressive, many have been known to be very calm though.. But they are a fairly slow species and a very hardy species require very very low humidity. Can be kept in a cheap 10 gallon, or a plastic tub. Boring I have to admit, but a excellent ( in my opinion being a noob to this hobby. ) introduction to tarantulas. Even when very aggressive like my girl, very easy to deal with and rehouse etc.
As others stated stay away from mesh, that is no good. Beginner terrestrial species can be kept happily in a cheap plastic tub, found at Walmart, dollar stores, hardware stores etc.
Coming from reptile background. The Only thing IMO that cage is good for is a chameleon.

tarantallie

hi, I was just at the pet shop and they had this tank. will this due? im leaning towards the togo starburst baboon tarantula as my first spider
I absolutely love this creature. I’m just a beginner at keeping tarantulas. Any advise would be great.thanks

Attachments

• 7B71F438-7B5E-45E7-99F8-E1B946D168B8.jpeg
    7B71F438-7B5E-45E7-99F8-E1B946D168B8.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Soulman

hi, I was just at the pet shop and they had this tank. will this due? im leaning towards the togo starburst baboon tarantula as my first spider
I absolutely love this creature. I’m just a beginner at keeping tarantulas. Any advise would be great.thanks
Had a look has a stainless steel mesh top,what size mesh don't no.something with hight yes.very fast spider and aggressive.And what to do if it bites you,you just run round and say it bit me.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
An Old World is never recommended as a first T as they can be aggressive and their venom, potent

On the link you provided, it says "Because Of Its Speed,defensiveness And Toxicity This Spider Is Not Ideal For Beginners"

Grandsouls

An Old World is never recommended as a first T as they can be aggressive and their venom, potent

On the link you provided, it says "Because Of Its Speed,defensiveness And Toxicity This Spider Is Not Ideal For Beginners"

I think, really the biggest thing is people really do not understand is the respect that you must give them. See youtube videos, of people dealing with them etc, think oh I can do this.
I come from reptile background. COMPLETELY different.. But the theory is the same, people think they can handle this fast large aggressive snake, then when the day comes, when that snake is no longer a little baby and is now large and aggressive could choke you out, tear your skin off with there 240 teeth, they are not so confident. And results in complete neglect to the animal due to there stupid decisions, I rescued countless snakes and large monitors due to that story, I am sure, in this hobby many have the same story.
Must truly understand and respect the animal or else you are going to fail miserably.

What may seem "cool' today may end up with you in the hospital tomorrow. And people really need to let that sink in.

Last edited:

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The terrarium is great....just look at a different spider to start with. You always can get this one later in life.;)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What may seem "cool' today may end up with you in the hospital tomorrow. And people really need to let that sink in.

I have yet to bring an OW into my collection for this reason alone. I want to make sure I am ready

So I got P. gigas and P. irminia first lol

Grandsouls

I have yet to bring an OW into my collection for this reason alone. I want to make sure I am ready

So I got P. gigas P. irminia first lol
and

Nice : ) I have no experience with tarantulas that are truly intimidating. I mean my rose hair is a *****, and if i get within 5 inches of her she will literally jump and try to sink her fangs into me or kick hairs if I am over her cage. After dealing with 50lb snakes with 5 ft strike range, I find it quite cute.. Lol and lets be honest in the end she is a G.Rosea, even at her meanest she is easy as hell to deal with. Her " bolt " is like a sloth compared to other species lol.
They may be boring as hell, not eat for months, sometimes be assholes. But a good beginner for a reason, even when they are hella mean. They are still soooo easy to manage.
But I don't have any experience with the real tarantulas the speedy aggressive buggers. Those that actually pose a threat. I am thinking a OBT for my next. I know they can be mean and fast. But from what I see I think I could manage just fine. I kinda get off with mean animals, I loved working with big pissy snakes the adrenaline rush, and the teachings it taught me of remaining calm and aware. Its good for you..Kinda like a high stress meditation x D
I now have a room, with a heat vent in ceiling and walls are all closed off, no windows or anything. And door has a weather strip on the bottom. So any T that escapes in there is staying in there. Cant wait to fill that room up

Latest posts