• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will the real P.subfusca please stand up

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Please use this thread to discuss and post pics of your P.subfusca and P.spec lowland

Here are the differences. Thanks to Steve Richter for the pics

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Here is a comparison between my subfusca on the left and my spec lowland on the right:

And 2 spec lowland females from the same sac showing variable colour:

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Here is a very good site for Poecilotheria. http://poeci1.de.tl/Poecilotheria.htm
The Germans are miles ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to Pokies (And lots of other genera), so you will have to use Google translate unfortunately.
But very interesting work regarding subfusca vs spec lowland.
And like I said in the other thread, go check out the facebook page too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Poecilotheria/

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
So please make sure that you label all "subfusca" correctly. Lots of people think that they have subfusca and meanwhile they are possibly breeding and selling hybrids or spec lowland as subfusca.
Ask the sellers for photo's of the adult female and confirm what you are buying first. Lets stop possible hybrids from entering the market.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member

Looking closely at the above specimen, I am leaning more towards spec. lowland now...
Considering the size of the specimen (Which is possibly mature already just for interest sake), the centre black folio seems to be merging with the normal abdominal colour, whereas with subfusca, there seems to be a clear distinction between the cream and dark folio patterns.
If you compare it to my subfusca at a similar size, you can see the clear distinction between the light and dark sections of the folio.

Please make sure that you don't create hybrids, although a better photo of the abdomen might help.

Latest posts