• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WHY?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hoping you'll appreciate all the work put in the highly detailed graphic below.
My question is why?
Why do crickets always managed to end up in the water dish?
Even when using deli cups high enough and that can't be climbed on, the crickets always manage to get in the water.
Either they have the best jumping aim ever (2nd only to a jumping spider) or the worst one.
One thing for sure I wouldn't take a cricket on at a beer pong game...

P.S: My T is not fat (the camera add 1/2 once).
The proportions are approximated, the enclosure is not too large.
Yes, the water cup is bigger than the one represented here, but it helps for the dramatization.

1618854466480.png

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Put a rock in the middle of your water dishes so crickets have an "island" to rescue themselves on, if they choose to drown themselves after that, they're just idiots

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Put a rock in the middle of your water dishes so crickets have an "island" to rescue themselves on, if they choose to drown themselves after that, they're just idiots
Looks like generation after generation their genes have improved as some of them can float :)
This works until a second one wants to skinny dip then they’ll climb on each other until one ends up under water for good.
I recycle the “wet ones” for my scolopendras ;)
And No, I am not starting to put rocks in all my water cups, I have enough to watch already weekly cleaning everything I have without adding rocks that could be a breeding ground for bacteria ;)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like generation after generation their genes have improved as some of them can float :)
This works until a second one wants to skinny dip then they’ll climb on each other until one ends up under water for good.
And No, I am not starting to put rocks in all my water cups, I have enough to watch already weekly cleaning everything I have without adding rocks that could be a breeding ground for bacteria ;)
Nature is a breeding ground for bacteria. What are you pretending not to know about this?

Alternatively, rocks are free and they make this stuff called soap, but if you prefer to scrub out your cricket surfboard buckets, aka water dishes, I will leave you to do so, in the grace of the lord

CritterKeeper79

make a tiny ladder to get out of the pool out of whatever this is?
3E23D945-4654-4327-92FB-3DF231993EE1.jpeg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nature is a breeding ground for bacteria. What are you pretending not to know about this?

Alternatively, rocks are free and they make this stuff called soap, but if you prefer to scrub out your cricket surfboard buckets, aka water dishes, I will leave you to do so, in the grace of the lord
Soap....I wonder who invented it....
I’ll save a few rocks for you for when you’ll come visit and hugs for your lovely lady ;)

Jeef

3 Year Member
I think it might be one of those "cursed earth" phenomenoms, much like the Bermuda Triangle or the Zone of Silence. Many a dubia roach hath drowned themselves in my B. smithi's water dish. And crickets... yeah. Might as well just drop those in the water dish. I wonder if the T's prefer them coated in substrate. Kinda like breading.

Latest posts