• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why will she not eat anything?

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
My spider just will not eat! She is a Chilli Red Rose had her around a week now and she has not touched a thing just runs away from it scared. At first i though it could be moulting and i compared two pictures of her abdomen one 1 week ago they other today and i think its the same no darker no lighter maybe a few less hairs. I have heard these species can go weeks with out food should i be worried?

Thanks Alex

19th feb when i got her. Last pic is from today (26th Feb)

IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
They can go for months without eating. Her abdomen looks fine so no worries there. Keep her water dish full and toss a cricket or roach in once every week or so. If she hasn't eaten it by the next day, take it out. She will est when she is hungry. Rosies are notorious for fasting.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Well there are a good many. When I think beginner species, I think of a t that is hardy (no major requirements, etc) not too fast, skittish, or defensive. A few that come to mind are Grammostola pulchripes, Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma albopilosum, Grammostola pulchra, and Eupalaestrus campestratus. There are many more that are suitable for beginners, especially if you don't plan on handling. GBB is hardy and makes awesome webs but can be a bit skittish. Lasiodora parahybana is pretty hardy (although they thrive with a little more humidity than say G rosea), they eat like pigs, grow fast, get big and are pretty inexpensive. They are not quite as docile as the beginners I mentioned but they are one to be considered. Brachypelma vagans are pretty inexpensive also. They eat like crazy, act like bulldozers, and grow pretty fast for a Brachypelma. They can be a bit flicky and skittish though, so not one to plan on handling. I don't handle mine and I've never had a problem out of her. She's a really fun t to own. There are a lot that I didn't mention, but that's a start :)

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Yes! It is addictive! If you don't want more, don't research, don't look at pictures, don't read anything online. Save yourself now! LOL

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
I cant help it they are so beautiful! I have seen keepers keeping them in plastic stackable draws with holes just through them. There is a shop just down the road that has them for like £10! thats 4 more Ts!

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
Loving the look of the red knee / red legs and Brazilian blacks, is there anywhere i could buy fully matured females? Or is it just sub adults or slings?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, there are plenty of places the sell fully mature females, you just gotta keep your eyes open and/ send out e-mails.
Pulchra will be tougher to find as they're very high in demand, and will be very costly, the other two can be had full grown for $150-$200 each. It's much more cost effective to buy a couple 2"ers. Ken the bug guy has well started smithi, and emilia.

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
I guess they are that much due to breading, i just wanted a mature one for the size i know tarantulas are slow growing. Buy i think it will be worth the wait in 3-4 years time when mine is fully grown. I would have had achieved something then! What tarantulas make interesting burrows/hide/webs as i was considering getting an old pc monitor and converting that into a cool terrarium i think that would be cool !

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
okay then i am a beginner, so i will stick to the simple ones until i am capable too look after these sorts of spiders

Alex

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
this is typical Grammostola rosea behavior they are notorious for fasting for long periods of time for no reason and they are known for being capable of being in premolt for a year. Since she looks fine and her abdomen is a nice size then I wouldn't worry about it. this is why they are one of the best beginner T's out their.

Alex Fish

3 Year Member
Thanks, if she starts to look skinny or her abdomen raisin like i will ring my local pet shop (he knows his stuff) i will keep you posted

Latest posts