• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why I don't keep OWs.

gognomie

These weren't posed, I just took my eyes off them for half a second! :eek:
Phryganistria heusii yentuensis females, in case you're curious.

help3.jpg
help4.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
They are gorgeous! I'm really starting to get interested in stick insects lately after seeing pictures like yours. I'd never realised before how fantastic looking various species are.

gognomie

They are gorgeous! I'm really starting to get interested in stick insects lately after seeing pictures like yours. I'd never realised before how fantastic looking various species are.
They're honestly great, the only cons are feeding them because going out to find your body weight (in my case, mileage may vary :D) in bramble twice a week can be a bit much and they passively breed constantly so you have to clear out and freeze the substate pretty often or else you'll end up buried in them.
There are loads and loads of varieties though and they're just as addictive as tarantulas

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
They're honestly great, the only cons are feeding them because going out to find your body weight (in my case, mileage may vary :D) in bramble twice a week can be a bit much and they passively breed constantly so you have to clear out and freeze the substate pretty often or else you'll end up buried in them.
There are loads and loads of varieties though and they're just as addictive as tarantulas

Not to mention people looking at you like you're a weirdo when they see you hunched down in the brambles rofl :)
I think I will have to get some though, they are stunning!! Plenty of brambles behind my house!! Ha ha

gognomie

Not to mention people looking at you like you're a weirdo when they see you hunched down in the brambles rofl :)
I think I will have to get some though, they are stunning!! Plenty of brambles behind my house!! Ha ha
Absolutely! Though once I was in the middle of the woods getting some and this woman pops out of nowhere walking her dog, looks at me and says 'stick insects?'. She knew the game. :D

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Absolutely! Though once I was in the middle of the woods getting some and this woman pops out of nowhere walking her dog, looks at me and says 'stick insects?'. She knew the game. :D

This all sounds a little like my pirate radio days. I use to head out on some Sunday mornings with a shortwave transmitter, a car battery for power & a tape deck with a pre recorded program on it. Plus a wire antenna to hang in the trees. I have been spotted by gamekeeprs, ramblers all sorts. But thankfully I was never seen by the GPO, or later by the DTI officers who enforced radio laws at that time.

On one site with one friend one Sunday lunch time, he convinced a group of ramblers we were from the MOD trying to discreetly survey an area of outstanding natural beauty for a new concrete road & Harrier Jump Jet / Helicopter Pads.

gognomie

This all sounds a little like my pirate radio days. I use to head out on some Sunday mornings with a shortwave transmitter, a car battery for power & a tape deck with a pre recorded program on it. Plus a wire antenna to hang in the trees. I have been spotted by gamekeeprs, ramblers all sorts. But thankfully I was never seen by the GPO, or later by the DTI officers who enforced radio laws at that time.

On one site with one friend one Sunday lunch time, he convinced a group of ramblers we were from the MOD trying to discreetly survey an area of outstanding natural beauty for a new concrete road & Harrier Jump Jet / Helicopter Pads.
That is brilliant!
Honestly, you just have to follow your bliss and having a big sense of humor definitely helps that.

Latest posts