• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why has my Chaco Golden Knee apparently gone into hiding?

Golgotha

Why has my Chaco Golden Knee apparently gone into hiding? See attached pictures of her cork hide. There were two large crickets in her enclosure that she ate and then started busily blocking both entrances to her hide. I have not seen her for few days now. Yesterday there was an opening where she could come out. This morning that was blocked closed. I bought this cool shirt, but honestly would like to see her more. Any ideas what is going on?

Attachments

• IMG_4784.jpg
    IMG_4784.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4785.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • Shirt.jpg
    Shirt.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 29

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Most likely she is getting ready to molt. Mine have done that. It could be days, weeks or longer. One of mine hid for about six weeks. Keep water dish filled. She may come out to drink. How long has she been in there? She may have already molted and just isn't ready to fully come out yet fully. When she does come out, hold off feeding her until her fangs harden.

When was that picture of her taken. It seems like a bright new coat she is wearing.

Golgotha

Most likely she is getting ready to molt. Mine have done that. It could be days, weeks or longer. One of mine hid for about six weeks. Keep water dish filled. She may come out to drink. How long has she been in there? She may have already molted and just isn't ready to fully come out yet fully. When she does come out, hold off feeding her until her fangs harden.

When was that picture of her taken. It seems like a bright new coat she is wearing.
That picture is from March 26th. She has beautiful colors.

T Freak

I just got a Chaco sling recently n i she’s ate for me a couple time n I swear she looks as if ready to moly but still hasn’t so defo waiting on that to happen. I’m about to put her in a tarantula cribs sling box Iv got her in a deli cup now and seems to me I done got the substrate too wet n it isn’t exactly drying back out very well. I’ll try to incorporate a small hide in that. Good luck I think urs is just about to molt n is hiding herself for it.

Golgotha

Well you all called it. She Molted and seems a bit larger. I was able to pull out the molt. SHe stayed in her cave for another 6 days. She is now back to normal taking strolls and hanging outside her cave. Very exciting. So happy to see "Slinky" out and about.

Attachments

• IMG_5169.jpg
    IMG_5169.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5187.jpg
    IMG_5187.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Shirt.jpg
    Shirt.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 6

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
And if you did not know, hold off on feeding for a bit to allow the fangs time to harden. My 4" G. pulchra milted a few days ago so i am waiting about 10 days and trying to see when her fangs blacken/ harden in the meantime.

Latest posts