• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why Does My T's Abdomen Get Bald?

Zarshenyu

Hello :)

Before that, i already know how does the bald looks like if it caused by shedding urticating hair.

But this bald seems weird. I think he's getting bald from yesterday, and today it's getting wider.

I also attached photos of him.

What is wrong with him? I thought it's because he kinda laid on his back when he catched the crickets that jumped to him. I fed him like 4 hours ago and he finished his meal like 1 hours ago. He took longer than usual and my assumption is because the crickets is bigger than usual.

Please advice.
Thank you.

Screenshot_2019-05-10-00-51-58-215.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-05-10-00-51-43-316.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-05-10-00-51-30-250.jpeg
IMG_20190510_004934.jpg

Zarshenyu

Is he a mature male??? If so they go bald making sperm webs. Also they are clumsy eaters. Hard to tell how big he is in the photos. Doesnt look that bald to me though...

Yes he is a mature male. He just molted on March 8th and started to make sperm web from April 11th. His length is about 17 cm. Here's a photo of him.

IMG_20190421_140035.jpg

I plan to rehouse him tomorrow to a bigger enclosure because can't span his leg fully and stand properly in this old enclosure.. He still can walk, but he used to stand on his tip toe when he's eating and now he doesn't...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So eating is much harder for them...its like us trying to eat with boxing gloves on. I injury the prey item so its easier for them to grasp. As for balding...hes a old man now. He will lose hair everytime he makes a sperm web. I kinda like the old man look...I've got a few of them around. I always spoil my old men a little more since they dont have much time left. Here's some old man ass for ya!!!.
20190127_110526.jpg

Zarshenyu

So eating is much harder for them...its like us trying to eat with boxing gloves on. I injury the prey item so its easier for them to grasp. As for balding...hes a old man now. He will lose hair everytime he makes a sperm web. I kinda like the old man look...I've got a few of them around. I always spoil my old men a little more since they dont have much time left. Here's some old man ass for ya!!!. View attachment 37130

Aah i see.. Compared to human age, how old is my old man would be?

As what i seen, right after he did the 'sexy time', his palps doesn't get covered with deposit sperm (as you can see on the picture below).

_20190510_025339.jpg

Is it normal? Because on youtube, i saw that male T roaming around with sperm in their palps..

What a lovely tarantula :T: how do you spoil him? I'd like to do the same

Zarshenyu

He sucks the sperm into his pedipalps...like a Turkey baster. Trust me hes ready to blast some lady with his super soaker!!!

Haha i get it.. But in my country it is hard to find keeper that want to breed their T.. Is that okay if i don't breed my T? I'm afraid the female will eat my T if i breed him :')

I spoil them by giving them the fattest roaches and a hornworm every once in a while. I also let them go for long walks...they think they are looking for ladies.

What kind of long walks? It is like handling them or put them in a larger area? Like floor maybe?

Tnoob

Haha i get it.. But in my country it is hard to find keeper that want to breed their T.. Is that okay if i don't breed my T? I'm afraid the female will eat my T if i breed him :')
What kind of long walks? It is like handling them or put them in a larger area? Like floor maybe?
I prefer to allow my animals fallow their biological prerogative. If he gets eaten then there's more babies. I'd let a male get eaten. It may even be better for their genus, especially in the case of a species that's protected or endangered. I hear it does help in the egg development aswell. Let's be honest. Males of sexually dymorphic species do want to provide.

Zarshenyu

Aah.. Bad news here. But not really a bad i think..

When i was rehousing him, i handled him to his new enclosure. Unlucky, idk if he fell down or jump, but he landed in my lap. Luckily, i am fat :D, like my weight is 100kg so i think he would be okay if he landing on my water bed like thigh:D
The distance between my hand to my lap is about 17cm that time.

After he landed, he was like gathering his consciousness then walked away to his new home, then he seems like he's chilling on his new enclosure. Or maybe he was drinking through the substrate?

Now he's moving a bit. From a left corner, and now on this side.

Is there any way to find if he's really okay? This is him right now..
IMG_20190510_165826.jpg

Last edited:

Zarshenyu

I prefer to allow my animals fallow their biological prerogative. If he gets eaten then there's more babies. I'd let a male get eaten. It may even be better for their genus, especially in the case of a species that's protected or endangered. I hear it does help in the egg development aswell. Let's be honest. Males of sexually dymorphic species do want to provide.

I know it's kinda weird but i love him like my own child :(
So seeing him being a meal for another female will break my heart to pieces :'(

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You should re-evaluate your breeding methods because you wont be very successful. To let your Male just be eaten is absurd. Just because the female eats the Male doesnt mean anything about egg development. I've had many females that ate the Male just molt out after...bye bye sperm.
Also if the Male gets ate you cant re breed the female or others. Alot of times after breeding the younger females molt...now you wouldnt have a Male anymore would you? And your endangered species comment...you just killed your species chances your way.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

In the wild meals are few and far between for adult tarantulas which is why they've evolved to turn to canabalism after breeding. It takes a lot of energy for a female to create an egg sac and care for it till sling stage so if she can guarantee a good meal then they will take the opportunity. Not an issue in captive kept Ts which is why breeders do what they can to save a MMs life. It may be near the end of his life anyway but most of the time the keeper has still raised it since sling stage.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Long walks...I let him walk around my tarantula room on the floor. I dont let him climb. I hardly ever handle...only to stop them from getting into harm's way.