• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why are GBB so hard to breed?

jrh3

3 Year Member
Just wanted to open this for discussion. Everywhere I read is how hard they are to breed, obviously people are successful because there are always slings available but is it the setup or need to cool and mimic a rainy season or what?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
GBB mating is tough for 2 reasons: she likes to eat him or both GBBs sit there and do nothing for hours! Casey K seems to have mastered this. I think the reason why there are plenty of slings is that we love them--so there is a bunch of good breeders trying.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20200720_050210_1.gif

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I currently have a gravid female I bred in late July. I'm anticipating her to drop soon. Ive never cooled any spider down and Ive been pretty successful. Ive heard breeders swear by it...never done it. I do water the enclosure pretty good when she starts silking for a sack. In the past I haven't had any cannibalism with Gbbs except for a female eating a sack and only being able to rescue a couple slings.

jrh3

3 Year Member
I currently have a gravid female I bred in late July. I'm anticipating her to drop soon. Ive never cooled any spider down and Ive been pretty successful. Ive heard breeders swear by it...never done it. I do water the enclosure pretty good when she starts silking for a sack. In the past I haven't had any cannibalism except for a female eating a sack and only being able to rescue a couple slings.

awesome looks like you have it nailed down. So wet season maybe the key?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
awesome looks like you have it nailed down. So wet season maybe the key?
Not sure...they say(multiple breeders) 82 degrees and 60%-70% humidity for the egg development. I flood the enclosure so for the next 30-40 days I dont have to disturb her. I then grab the sack from her and incubate the eggs myself.

Latest posts