• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White spot on my T's mouth?

Zarshenyu

Hello everyone :)

I'd like to ask about my T. He's a MM albo. Now I just found out that my T has some strange white spot near his mouth.

I just rehouse him like 1 month ago.

Is this a mold? Or is this just a dry tarantula poopoo..?? I also attached the photo I took.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_155746.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200710_155901.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200710_155557.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 44
I'm not an entomologist or arachni-Vet, but mold/fungus is a very serious problem with spiderlings. Adults like yours are much hardier and able to overcome infections with early detection and ounce if prevention.

I would err on the side of caution and also not use a treatment that is worse than the issue. IF the white substance is a fungus, and nobody knows for sure, I would do the following with mine. This is a "if it were mine " hypothetical, so everything is at your own benefit or risk.

1. Eliminate the cause. Assuming that its a fungal infection with your adult, it probably wouldn't be a risk to move it to another enclosure of like fresh substrate and setup. This should reduce stress. Stress reduces immune functions.
2. Throw out the substrate and all furniture in the old one. Sterilize the terrarium and put it away in storage. No use reproducing the husbandry issue that brought about the same challenge.
3. The NEW terrarium should have BETTER VENTILATION. Find a better design that is an improvement over the old one.
4. This is what I can/have done with mine. You might not have this option. I have no way of knowing.
Using a dilute 3% H2O2, with sterile water, dilute it 50% hydrogen peroxide: water. By this I mean 3% over the counter by half. This produces 1and1/2% solution.
Get several clean cotton Q tips.
Wet them with solution.
Gently Apply in the same direction of the fang growth. Wiping to remove from the teeth and mouth. Also wipe in the direction with the fur, where you notice the unusual substance. Be careful to KEEP AWAY FROM EYES! It might cause blindness.
Check and repeat daily.
5. Be super diligent to remove uneaten food, and check the substrate frequently for mold growth. If not sure, but the substrate looks furry or whitish, throw it out and start over following the same procedures.

If you decide to do this the way I have, please take time to share your detailed response as I have done. This will help to educate others that we all may benefit. Exotic animal husbandry and veterinary practices should improve over time, thanks to hobbyists and wildlife professionals.

The above was provided without charge from one neighbor to another. Hope the best of health and happiness to you and your pet.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally can’t see what you mean by white spots. It’s all looks fine to me in the pictures.

id wouldn’t recommend using h2o2 solution even when very dilute anywhere near your spider. It’s used to clean out cysts in Animals and could cause a serious problem.

Zarshenyu,

I'm just using a tiny phone screen now, so I can only take your word for whatever you see. I'm not into doing diagnostics off of pics anyway. I am mentioning an extremely dilute oxidizer that's the mildest thing I can think of that has shown some efficacy at killing some fungus, etc. When I have used it, it was not a dripping bunch of foaming up amount on the described area. I've used it as a moistened wipe with no ill effects. It worked for me with my protocol. I have used petroleum jelly based anti fungal creams long ago, but that's another level of potential cautions. These others have their own ideas. We all have opinions. I speak from my experience.
Unfortunately, much of exotic animal husbandry/veterinary care is experimental/clinical.
A local vet won't likely know anything. He will check the merc manual, etc.
I've lost too many thousands on exotic animal vets. YMMV.

Zarshenyu

Hello :)

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have a bit clearer picture that shown the white spot, if you want to see more. I'm just afraid he got some kind of infection :'(

Here I attached the pictures.
IMG_20200712_114600.jpg
IMG_20200712_114534.jpg

Thank you for the attention :T:

Those are good close ups Zarshenyu.
I like how you circled the areas.

Unfortunately, it's still hard to tell.
One way to likely narrow down the possibility of it being poop is to clean out the enclosure and replace the substrate. As long as its active, they fresh bedding should wipe off the fecal matter if that's what it is. Check it frequently to see if it grows. If it shows a larger area, then it's more likely a fungal infection.
Again with the fresh bedding, I would cut back on moisture for now, even if it is a semi tropical species and observe how it does.
Others are welcome to disagree. If so, educate me. This would be my basic protocol if it were mine.

PS: Last thing is the easiest approach.
If you're concerned that dilute hydrogen peroxide might harm it, then simply use a clean cotton Q-tip and gently wipe as I described. Keep an eye on it, use a magnifying glass and good light for the exams. If you notice it returning anywhere on its body, then you'll need to decide on an appropriate treatment and correct whatever brought it about.

Best to you and your little friend!

Zarshenyu

Sorry for the late reply! Kinda busy yesterday..

Okay then. I will try to keep an eye to the spot. And if it's grow, I will inform you.

Thank you for the solution! I really appreciate it.