• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which type of curly hair?

Egon

3 Year Member
I’m new to tarantulas. Which type of curly hair is this 4-year-old female?

Thanks!

Attachments

• BF32022E-51CA-4251-A8DF-286699E5682A.jpeg
    BF32022E-51CA-4251-A8DF-286699E5682A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • BD86B949-886D-448A-8055-0E6E97DAFA47.jpeg
    BD86B949-886D-448A-8055-0E6E97DAFA47.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

Spots

I'm no expert by any means and I'm going from the photo provided compared to my Nicaraguan Curly hair, I can safely say that it is not a Nicaraguan Curly.

Try to get a picture from the top and a clear picture of the abdomen if possible. Nicaraguans have hairs curled up and forward.

Egon

3 Year Member
I'm no expert by any means and I'm going from the photo provided compared to my Nicaraguan Curly hair, I can safely say that it is not a Nicaraguan Curly.

Try to get a picture from the top and a clear picture of the abdomen if possible. Nicaraguans have hairs curled up and forward.

Thanks. I’ll try but I just got it and it tends to sit out like this or hole away in its hide so this was the best picture I could get.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A lot of people have difficulty discerning the difference, and depending on where you've sourced your individual, there might have even been hybridization, intentional or otherwise.

The easiest way to discern between the species, when coloration tends to vary between bloodlines, is the setae of a Nicaraguan being more curly, especially on the abdomen, then a Honduran, with straighter Setae.

Egon

3 Year Member
A lot of people have difficulty discerning the difference, and depending on where you've sourced your individual, there might have even been hybridization, intentional or otherwise.

The easiest way to discern between the species, when coloration tends to vary between bloodlines, is the setae of a Nicaraguan being more curly, especially on the abdomen, then a Honduran, with straighter Setae.
This one is from a hobbyist who wasn’t sure.

Latest posts