• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which roach species should I go with?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Its high time I figure out how to get a roach colony going for feeders. I’ve bought large wuantities or crickets and am very tired of that for many reasons. I did superworms for a while and it was nice to have a feeder that didn’t stink. I’m in the middle of breeding proejcts though and some of the potentially geavid females just don’t want superworms even though they chow on crickets. So I guess I’m going to give roaches a try.

The first question that needs answering is what species I should keep. I only want one so its got to be the right one. I’ve tried feeding dubias from the petstore with about the same success that I’ve had with superworms. Some Ts will take them and some want nothing to do with them. What do y’all suggest?

The second question is where to put them. My best option is the garage because there seems to be crap stuffed in every closet in the house. I know they generally breed better at higher temps, but would Texas garage temps cook them?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
What are the temps in your garage there? How high does it get in the summer and how low in winter?

Lats are temperature tolerant and fast breeders, but too small for large tarantulas. Newly hatched lats are good for the smallest of baby tarantulas.
Hissers are very adaptable and tough to kill as far as housing and temps, but too big for baby tarantulas and slow to breed.
Dubia don't do well with cool temps, but breed fast at warmer temps, and their babies are small enough for all but the tiniest of slings.

Lobster roaches might be a decent compromise. Bigger than lateralis, but faster breeders than hissers or dubia. I find their odor when handled unpleasant, but tolerable.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
The garage will hit 100 in the summer so pretty hot. My other options are a large spot in my desk meant to hold a desktop computer or the closet. Not sure my wife will be thrilled about the closet though....

I’ll take a look at lobster roaches and may even try dubias again. Anyone else have anything to add species-wise? How about red runners?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
The garage will hit 100 in the summer so pretty hot. My other options are a large spot in my desk meant to hold a desktop computer or the closet. Not sure my wife will be thrilled about the closet though....

I’ll take a look at lobster roaches and may even try dubias again. Anyone else have anything to add species-wise? How about red runners?
I wouldn't tell anyone to heat their lateralis colony to 100 degrees, but as long as they have lots of food and wet stuff to get water from like oranges or melon, I bet they'd survive occasional spells of 100. Mine do fine and continue to breed when room temps are in the mid 90s in my reptile room. I wouldn't be surprised if it was near 100 up on their high shelves on a day like today when its 115 outside here. Certainly not optimal to go that high, but not a deal breaker either. And let's face it… You gotta keep the wife happy.

Bandersnatch

I recommend red runners AND Dubia. I primarily feed red runners, then Dubia when they run low. I keep mine in an area that gets at least 100, and both species have thrived. I provide plenty of water crystals as well as fresh fruits and veggies. Basic gutload too. Also, since they are kept so hot, I make sure to take the lid off and circulate the air, i.e. I fan them a little with the lid each day. I am like a mother hen though. Not saying that you HAVE to do that. I have never kept lobsters, so I can't say anything about them, I just like the ease of care for red runners and Dubia. ☺

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
My tarantula room must be special...all my roaches breed in the mid 70s. I like red runners and hissers. I have dubias but they really suck as a feeder for tarantulas.

I respect your experience, so please don't take offense when I ask: How so? I've been feeding them to tarantulas for over 10 years and have yet to encounter any problem. Why do you not like them for tarantulas? What is the issue you've found with them?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you put the Dubai roaches in the fridge and pull off the front most legs on each side leaving the middle and rear ones, they can't burrow but can still otherwise move normally.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Burrowing isnt a problem, they'll dig them up. The only objection I have about dubia is some species just don't like them. All of them hit red runners, but lats arent big, and if you have big spiders, they arent a very efficient feeder. So dubia and lats for me. I like hissers too much to use them as feeders.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They don't move...they will sit still forever. Ive seen many times they sit under my stirmi for hours and hours until the stirmi walked away. I've cleaned out enclosures and found many still hiding out for months. I don't tong feed anymore due to fang damage that I've experienced in the past, so they are pretty much don't work for me. I'll use them for smaller juveniles and slings in tiny enclosures but my main go to are hissers and runners.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
My previous dubia attempts were unsuccessful as well. None of my Ts wanted them.

Thanks to the mod for fixing my terrible title typo :)

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Well this is interesting. Several of you guys have had tarantulas refuse dubia roaches. I don't have the depth of experience with a lot of species that you guys do, but none of mine have refused them. Rose hairs, curly hairs, chaco gold knees, brazilian blacks, mexican red knees, in the past. Currently i've been offering them to some of my new species, and none have refused them yet.

I wonder what I'm doing differently? Is it certain species or genus that don't care for them? Most of my previous experience was with Grammostola. Are any of your Grammostola refusing them, or is it other species?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well this is interesting. Several of you guys have had tarantulas refuse dubia roaches. I don't have the depth of experience with a lot of species that you guys do, but none of mine have refused them. Rose hairs, curly hairs, chaco gold knees, brazilian blacks, mexican red knees, in the past. Currently i've been offering them to some of my new species, and none have refused them yet.

I wonder what I'm doing differently? Is it certain species or genus that don't care for them? Most of my previous experience was with Grammostola. Are any of your Grammostola refusing them, or is it other species?
Just particular spiders don't take to them. They'll eat them only reluctantly. Dont get me wrong, all of mine will eat them, but I've found that some of mine prefer lats and worms, and will eat better if I use them. My P metallica is one of them. She'll take a worm or lat with gusto, but dubias just don't float her boat. The regalis will eat a tin can if she's hungry..I like to watch her murder dubias and fold them up.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you get a Dubai roach freezing up by a tarantula, hey one of those green for laser cat toys (red dots don't work) and laser across the roach's eyes.

It'll run around like crazy and the T will nail it. Be careful not to laser the tarantula. The results are highly entertaining.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
After some searching I found an enclosure that fits inside my desk perfectly.

What kind of screen have y’all used for ventilation? I found aluminum window screen at HD, but it worried me that it had the “California thinks this product might give you cancer” warning. Suggestions?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
After some searching I found an enclosure that fits inside my desk perfectly.

What kind of screen have y’all used for ventilation? I found aluminum window screen at HD, but it worried me that it had the “California thinks this product might give you cancer” warning. Suggestions?
I cut out holes with a dremel tool and a cut off wheel, and then hot glue that aluminum window screen into place.

No cancer for me so far. Time will tell… And the vast majority of the people running CA and making laws for those labels, are insane, idiotic, delusional morons. There are still a lot of good people in CA, but we've been outnumber by lunatics for a while now. Sorry. Off topic...

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
hmmm? eaten any aluminum screen lately? or do you have to wrap them around you? or huff? God forbid! LMAO

That said - the lats cant climb smooth walls so they wont be in 'touch' with aluminum or whatever is in your container lid. I have been raising lats for about 6 months now - they are very interesting - the Ts find them interesting as well! I did find that in the small room I heat to 80-82(the Ts that are in that room are thriving as well) they needed misting x2 daily in order to thrive and really start multiplying more rapidly(their enclosures have vented water containers to produce humidity but that seemed not to be enough - they have really taken off since I started misting). I do alternate some crickets every week or two and that seems to give the roaches 'grow' time...and when the roach population is high then no problem feeding several smaller roaches as opposed to one large...keeps Ts busy. I tried the dubias but they dug in and did not get dug up!