• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When To Separate?

shatteredpast7

Hi, my Phidippus Regius jumper laid a sac and now the babies are out and wondering about in a butterfly cage. I was curious as to when i should separate them? And what is the best method of separating them? Thank you

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Not sure at what point they will become cannibalistic, but best separation method is going to be one by one. Gonna be tedious..... I'd just start catching them out into the vials or cups that they will be in for a while. This will help you out in the long run. Nothing too difficult, just time consuming. Part of the fun with a spider that has sooooo many babies at once ;)

shatteredpast7

Not sure at what point they will become cannibalistic, but best separation method is going to be one by one. Gonna be tedious..... I'd just start catching them out into the vials or cups that they will be in for a while. This will help you out in the long run. Nothing too difficult, just time consuming. Part of the fun with a spider that has sooooo many babies at once ;)
Luckily she had less than 50 babies. It will still be tedious but still interesting. Thank you fo the advice

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I'm about to get to experience it myself except with a Wandering spider sac that opened early....ugh

Attachments

• 20220802_151151.jpg
    20220802_151151.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 7

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Thought I had it down. Took everything downstairs to our second bathroom that is pretty much sealed. Bottom of the enclosure fogged and evidently everyone was thirsty as they spread out to drink off of the sides.....ugh. Gotta come up with a new plan now that they are covering the entire enclosure.....ugh. Gonna take the whole day.....wish me luck.

OP, wanna trade tasks