• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When should/could start meal/superworms?

InsertInvert

3 Year Member
My female G. Pulchra is 2 1/2 inches now and today is when I pick up her food. Could I get her meal/superworms? And also, for her size, how often should I be feeding her? Thanks in advance!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah, you absolutely can. However, roaches and crickets are better food sources.
1 prey item a week is fine.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
probably wouldn't all be eaten, but a 2.5" tarantula shouldn't have any trouble with it.

InsertInvert

3 Year Member
Should I give her just half? Also, I believe this will be better for her because normally the crickets need to be half dead for her to be interested. She like them slow. And mealworms aren't that fast, plus I don't have to worry about them jumping out of the container I keep my feeders in whenever I open it! lol

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Crickets are better, even if you have to kill them. If she's not interested, than just give her a couple weeks between feedings.
Superworms, burrow and bite which can be a problem during molting, they're also not very nutritious, at least compared to a cricket or roach. No spider in my collection has ever, nor will they ever eat a SW in my care.

InsertInvert

3 Year Member
She hasn't refused the food, just she won't eat it if it's too fast.
And I've had her for a few weeks now and she doesn't look in pre-molt.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
have you tried roaches? as long as your not in Florida that's the best feeder available.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nothing to worry about, they can go a long time without food. I'd bet she's in pre-molt (it can take months..)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She has no bald spot. Are there any other signs of pre-molt other than not eating and bald spots?

Hello
There are others,like darkening of the abdomen and sluggish movement. Sadly,the darkening of the abdomen is harder to observe in specimens which are dark themselves. There is one other which can occur just before molt,when they spin a hammock or bed to lie on but this also isn't a sure occurrence.

Latest posts