• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When do you feed your T's?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As I'm sure you are all aware, I have been wanting to watch Karina 'pounce' on her prey for awhile now; and up till now I've only managed to see her once she's already got it in her mouth. So now that it's feeding time again, I'm wondering; do your T's feed during the day or do they live up to their nocturnal natures and wait until it's 'lights-out' before jumping on their tasty crickets/worms?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LOL, yes I guess you'd have to just do it when you can with a collection of your size!

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
When I first fed mine after I got her, just because I didn't know if she had eaten in a while or not, I had turned off the light about an hour later, went for dinner and when I came back she had a worm in her mouth. I figured it took her 24 hours to eat just one, but it turns out she had eaten two in 24 hours. I'm never going to use superworms again though!

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Metal tongs are a bad idea because a bad lunge can result in broken fangs...do you use rubber tipped?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have tried tong feeding Karina...she's wants no part of it lol

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
tongs in general are a bad idea. Just put the prey item in the enclosure and let your T do it's thing. Regular tog feeding can injure your T (rubber tipped or not) It can also make your T associate it's enclosure opening with food.

KieraKittie

3 Year Member
I am new to owning a T, but I take care of them often in the small pet shop I work at. How I feed mine and the ones at work is simply giving them 1 - 2 crickets or Mealworms every other day. We simply sprinkle them in the enclosures and shut the lid and let the T do its thing. Its always neat to watch them catch one once it hits the ground and nom away. I check them at night and see if they ate the crickets, if not we try to get them out. We keep a cricket feeder hard block in the enclosures in case we cant get a cricket it will nibble on the feeder block instead of pestering the T's to much.

Not saying the way I do it is right so feel free to teach me otherwise, its just how I was taught and how we do it. We use reptile tongs to pull out carcases every few weeks as needed.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
So far what I've been informed on this site is that in 24 hours if they do not eat their meal take it out of the enclosure right away. I am only going to feed mine once a week which seems to be fine.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah 1-2 feeders per week is more than fine. Overfeeding puts them at higher risk of abdomen ruptures. I have also read that 'power feeding' can speed up the growth/moults of your T, so some people use it for breeding purposes.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A lot of my babies moved up a cricket size last week so I will be feeding less now. most of them would eat every day if they could but I try to stick with what nature intended. I feed in the evening and do all the water bowls before I turn the heating up ( my house is like an igloo and the heating is on all year round.) I was wondering if it is ok to feed an extra meal or two after recovered from a Moult? Some of mine look skinny and look like they need extra calories.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A lot of my babies moved up a cricket size last week so I will be feeding less now. most of them would eat every day if they could but I try to stick with what nature intended. I feed in the evening and do all the water bowls before I turn the heating up ( my house is like an igloo and the heating is on all year round.) I was wondering if it is ok to feed an extra meal or two after recovered from a Moult? Some of mine look skinny and look like they need extra calories.

yes, a little post moult power feeding is fine. I do it myself starting 5 full day after a moult I'll feed up to 3 times that week.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good, I have never seen one look as thin and awful as my poor avic Solomon but when he's not in his Web he is tiny all over just got long legs.

GreenTreeSkink

3 Year Member
i havent had any problems feeding with tongs, and people say the same thing about feeding snakes and having the enclosure opened being associated with food but thats ill logic.

Latest posts