• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's your "best" substrate for tarantula keeping?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For what it's worth, here is what I do

I dehydrate coco coir bricks, I purchase the two following one(s) from Amazon

Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate, 8 Quarts
- CHEAPER than same brand bricks by weight
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167VVP4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Zilla Reptile Terrarium Bedding Substrate Coconut Husk Brick
- first time purchase, cheaper than the "other brand" by weight
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F9COL8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I hydrate as recommended and use a 5-gallon bucket for this. If I make it too wet, i then let it dry back out some by leaving the bucket open for a few days, covered with an old t-shirt so bugs don't roost in it, stirring it once to twice a day. It's easier not to over moisten, believe me.

Before using, I mix the dehydrated coco coir 1:1 with peat moss. I like this one, a lot, also from Amazon

Hoffman 15503 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, 10 Quarts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CBITW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I leave it in the bucket with the lid loosely on top, allowing the substrate to naturally dry out over time and re-moisten as necessary or before use.

But that's just the beginning

For some species Ts I add vermiculite if more moisture is required. For other species I add clean dry play sand, from Home Depot or similar. leaf litter, charcoal or organic wood mulch* if I am setting up a biometric enclosure.

*make sure any woods you use are free of insecticidal toxins, avoid pine, cedar and any wood saps.

EDIT : sand will scratch plastic and glass enclosures, I use it less and less frequently stopped using sand.

Honestly, just mixing the coco coir (fiber) and peat moss equally is pretty much all I use these days for most of my tarantula enclosures. It holds moisture well, doesn't mold and Ts can dig in it and the burrows hold shape.

Sometimes, I just use the peat moss. It is MOLD RESISTANT and dark in color, offering natural feel, good odor, no strings and holds moisture better than coir alone.

Tom Moran (@Tomoran) turned me on to the peat moss/coir mix in this video and it's been a blessing!

As always, I pack my substrate down firmly to simulate "terra firma" lol so I have all of this stuff on Subscribe and Save with Amazon

What do y'all do?

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
1pt/ brick Eco Earth
1pt/ bag of Reptisoil
.5pt/ peat moss
.5pt/ vermiculite
1gal / purified water that I make myself

I may add moss and leaf litter also.

I have found this mix to be extremely mold resistant and holds moisture forever. If you have a species that requires things to be dry, skip the vermiculite and let the mix dry way down before using.

Latest posts