• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's one more?

Noodlelove

When I introduced myself on this board as a brand new mom to a kid I'm in love with, who I haven't named, some very nice people responded with welcome and more than one person has said this won't be your last eight-legged kid. That was not even a month ago. I was certain I would not be adding one more eight legged kid to my life. Tonight, I have accepted two more eight-legged kids into my life. I have ordered enclosures for them off Etsy. I have ordered adorable little water dishes for them off Etsy. And I love this board.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I introduced myself on this board as a brand new mom to a kid I'm in love with, who I haven't named, some very nice people responded with welcome and more than one person has said this won't be your last eight-legged kid. That was not even a month ago. I was certain I would not be adding one more eight legged kid to my life. Tonight, I have accepted two more eight-legged kids into my life. I have ordered enclosures for them off Etsy. I have ordered adorable little water dishes for them off Etsy. And I love this board.
I believed you were warned ;)
Soon you will start to wonder how can you be a good T mom if you do not have your own dubias colony…..
This is just the beginning and we love you back :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you❤️
@octanejunkie forgot to mention that they are also fast, climb any surfaces and can infest your place :oops:
Dubias can’t climb slick surfaces, can’t survive cold temperature for long, reproduce slower than red runners but also provide much bigger specimen to feed your Ts as they’ll grow up.
I have between 2 and 3 thousands of these and after experimenting with several species of roaches, they are my favorites.
Grab one, crush its head (it’ll still survive a good week without its head) then place it on its back. It’ll move its legs frenetically trying to flip over which usually help trigger an attack.
Red runners are fine too but someone had to take a stand for the dubias!
P.S: the red runners also smell (stinks) a lot more than the dubias.

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@octanejunkie forgot to mention that they are also fast, climb any surfaces and can infest your place :oops:
Dubias can’t climb slick surfaces, can’t survive cold temperature for long, reproduce slower than red runners but also provide much bigger specimen to feed your Ts as they’ll grow up.
I have between 2 and 3 thousands of these and after experimenting with several species of roaches, they are my favorites.
Grab one, crush its head (it’ll still survive a good week without its head) then place it on its back. It’ll move its legs frenetically trying to flip over which usually help trigger an attack.
Red runners are fine too but someone had to take a stand for the dubias!
P.S: the red runners also smell (stinks) a lot more than the dubias.
I didn't forget to mention those because they're not qualities of red runners. Much like dubia, they cannot climb smooth surfaces, like flat plastic or glass. And while they can become an invasive species under the right conditions, they can just as easily not establish in less-than-ideal conditions unlike other roaches species which are more adaptable. See the German cøckroach

Regarding the odor you mentioned, the accumulation of fecal matter or waste from any species will usually admit an unsavory odor. It is incumbent upon the keeper to manage waste and the enclosures of their colonies and therefore control odor.

Misinformation to credit dubia as being a "more desirable" species does not outweigh the benefits of red runners for the three primary reasons I mentioned. But everyone is welcome to their own opinion, and their feeder of choice, and I hope you enjoy your dubia served cold @Oursapoil

Last edited:

Noodlelove

I didn't forget to mention those because they're not qualities of red runners. Much like dubia, they cannot climb smooth surfaces, like flat plastic or glass. And while they can become an invasive species under the right conditions, they can just as easily not establish in less-than-ideal conditions unlike other roaches species which are more adaptable. See the German cøckroach

Regarding the odor you mentioned, the accumulation of fecal matter or waste from any species will usually admit an unsavory odor. It is incumbent upon the keeper to manage waste and the enclosures of their colonies and therefore control odor.

Misinformation to credit dubia as being a "more desirable" species does not outweigh the benefits of red runners for the three primary reasons I mentioned. But everyone is welcome to their own opinion, and their feeder of choice, and I hope you enjoy your dubia served cold @Oursapoil
Sorry octane. I'm one deep in cleaning my 70 gallon aquarium. You are awesome and thank you for all your shared experience

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I prefer red runners (Blatta lateralis) over dubia for several reasons

They don't burrow
They don't play dead
They have less chitin
The breed prolifically (so do dubia)
They sound ideal, unfortunately they are not permitted in my state (Maine).

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They sound ideal, unfortunately they are not permitted in my state (Maine).
They would not last a winter in Maine without supplemental heat, food, etc. but in my opinion and experience they are ideal as a feeder at all sizes. They just tend to hide if they can.

Latest posts