• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's in a name?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK. ..so I have long tried to assign pet names that are not only sex agnostic (glad predictive text didn't change that one....:D) but we're linked some way either to colour traits or the scientific/common name. For example:
A. Geniculata (Genie)
B. boheimi (Bo)
Gooty Sapphire (Sapohie)
Antilles Pink Toe (Tink)
C. Cyaneopubescens (Sully) what????? Think about the colours of the GBB and then Monsters Inc. That sound you just heard was the penny dropping. LoL

Well, due to the untimely demise of one of my Fighting fish. All named after Rocky or his opponents (Drago, Clubber etc), I have decided to extend this naming convention to my T collection.

So from thus day forward, my previously un-named H. Pulchripes will now be known as......"Apollo"

Have other members got any interesting ways of naming their Ts?

Last edited:

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I name mine after Muppets (Animal and Piggy), Italian names (Fortunata) Greek Gods (RA) and TV Characters (Morticia- don't judge this is my oldest T and I wasn't very creative then) :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I name mine after Muppets (Animal and Piggy), Italian names (Fortunata) Greek Gods (RA) and TV Characters (Morticia- don't judge this is my oldest T and I wasn't very creative then) :)
I never Judge. It's good to have a system. My neighbour reckons my middle child looks like Wednesday so Morticia is a cool name. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you have a little Italian in you then?

Meludox

3 Year Member
I'm not sure how I name mine. I usually just look up obscure baby names with 2-3 syllables and go off that. Or words that I associate with the appearance of the T. For instance, I named my Brazilian Black "Ouija" because of their dark appearance as adults. And I am considering naming my A. geniculata "Jack" because the black and white bands on the legs give me a Tim Burton (Jack Skellington) vibe. I use space names too, as an amateur astronomer. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most of mine are named after something connected with the country they originate from - rivers, volcanoes, states etc.
That's a good method. Can even see the landmarks they are named after if travelling thee.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not sure how I name mine. I usually just look up obscure baby names with 2-3 syllables and go off that. Or words that I associate with the appearance of the T. For instance, I named my Brazilian Black "Ouija" because of their dark appearance as adults. And I am considering naming my A. geniculata "Jack" because the black and white bands on the legs give me a Tim Burton (Jack Skellington) vibe. I use space names too, as an amateur astronomer. :)
You MUST name the Geniculata Jack. Belive it or not, Jack Skelington was my fancy dress outfit at a NEW Years Eve party. It was Disney themed. Talking of Disney, if ever you are in London, check out the new Big Wheel they have. It is Mary Poppins themed. It is called the London um-diddle um-diddle um-diddle eye.......I hope that translates well outside of the UK.....LOL

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I named mine Malachite (Mali for short) and intend on naming my future T's other gemstones, like Jasper, Peridot, etc. I may have gotten the idea from a cartoon. Cough cough.
You will like my name for the P.Metallica (Gooty Sapphire). I have called her Sapphie. They are all little gems so good choice.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You will like my name for the P.Metallica (Gooty Sapphire). I have called her Sapphie. They are all little gems so good choice.

That is one T that doesn't follow my norm, she's called Trip after a character from the film Metallica Through the Never

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son picks meaningful names for the most part. GBB is named after his favorite reggae artist Bob Marley. B. boehmei is named after his favorite cat that died this past summer Koby. Cat was 15 when it died, my son grew up with it, he just turned 16 a few months ago. Savage is a fun name, he said all the natives in South America where the A. geniculata lives are savages compared to our society.

The rest I named. Redrum, (B. vagans) is named as word play from the common name Red Rump.

Moe and Larry (B. albopilosums) are word play with the common name again - Curly (hair).

Gram i named because it's my son's T and he won't or hasn't thought of a name for it yet, so I call it Gram (from Grammostola) to annoy him.

The avic we havent' thought of a name yet.

My LP I named Chum. It's a word play on the common name again (Salmon Pink, Chum is a type of Salmon) and because i was watching Pawn Stars when thinking of a name :) At least that's what it will be if we get it.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son picks meaningful names for the most part. GBB is named after his favorite reggae artist Bob Marley. B. boehmei is named after his favorite cat that died this past summer Koby. Cat was 15 when it died, my son grew up with it, he just turned 16 a few months ago. Savage is a fun name, he said all the natives in South America where the A. geniculata lives are savages compared to our society.

The rest I named. Redrum, (B. vagans) is named as word play from the common name Red Rump.

Moe and Larry (B. albopilosums) are word play with the common name again - Curly (hair).

Gram i named because it's my son's T and he won't or hasn't thought of a name for it yet, so I call it Gram (from Grammostola) to annoy him.

The avic we havent' thought of a name yet.

My LP I named Chum. It's a word play on the common name again (Salmon Pink, Chum is a type of Salmon) and because i was watching Pawn Stars when thinking of a name :) At least that's what it will be if we get it.
Thanks for the info on the naming. Great stories.my eldest had a ChileanRose she named Dotty as she got it a couple of days after her great grandma (Dorithy) died. She still talks about Dotty even though she took has a long time passed. We buried her though in a worm proof container next to a preying mantis, and A. Geniculata and several goldfish.....

kroogur

3 Year Member
I name some of my T's after friends or family that have passed on like Gladys and Gene (two friends from when I worked at the Carnegie Museum) Russ (after my Dad) Jojo was named by my mother (it's her nickname) and others I just name on whatever their personality or behavior is like (Scoot,Trouble,Grumpster,Flicker etc..)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine don't really have any "official" names, just nicknames so my husband knows who I'm talking about:
My Rosea is either Rosie (how creative, isn't it?), Fuzzball or Lotta (as in "A whole lotta Rosie").
A. Genic, Stripes
G. Actaeon, still referred to as the "Newbie"
LP, Pipsqueak, because it was so tiny when I got it
A. Versicolor, formerly known as "Bluey", now known as Queen B, because she's a bit bold and feisty (in a good way)
B. Boehmei, The Mexican or Bums (he's a bit fat)
GBB, Flicks, cause that's what it does (rarely, but the only one, that has so far)
Amazonica, Big Foot (needs to grow into its feet) or Baby (cos it's the smallest)
T. Gigas, Orange Climby Thing (as a joke, because my husband saw an OBT and wanted me to get one, but I preferred the looks and description of the Gigas) or Gingie (referring to Shrek's Gingerbread Man, because it's ginger)

Latest posts