• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Whats a good way to set up an enclosure for a Mexican Red Rump ( Brachypelma Vagans ) adult

Cuban86

3 Year Member
image.jpeg

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Looks like a good enclosure. Should have 5 inches of subrastrate a hide and a water dish available for it.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup....thats the thing. spiders dont really need a lot. especially the dry terrestrials. sub, hide and water dish. thats it. all the nice looking things are more for our benefit.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Nice setup. Though I think using a product like eco earth is more beneficial to the tarantula if it chooses to burrow. the bricks are very inexpensive.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yup thatll work. I dont even mix it. they seem to do ok in just the cocfiber. and im lazy, i like to just buy a bag and dump it in....lol no fuss no muss.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i used to use just coco-fiber but it dries out too fast and turns hard as a brick. We did this with the 2nd T we got last fall. Once Koby my son's B. boehmei molted we rehoused him, took that square brick out and my son entertained himself counting how many times he could drop it off the 2nd floor balcony before it totally shattered. didn't take very many but I was wondering if he'd give up from running up and down the stairs before the brick gave up ;)

Now that i mix potting soil in, the substrate stays moist for hte burrowing slings for like ever. I rarely have to remoisten the substrate.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i used to use just coco-fiber but it dries out too fast and turns hard as a brick. We did this with the 2nd T we got last fall. Once Koby my son's B. boehmei molted we rehoused him, took that square brick out and my son entertained himself counting how many times he could drop it off the 2nd floor balcony before it totally shattered. didn't take very many but I was wondering if he'd give up from running up and down the stairs before the brick gave up ;)

Now that i mix potting soil in, the substrate stays moist for hte burrowing slings for like ever. I rarely have to remoisten the substrate.
This has me so confused. I pack the tar out of it damp and let it dry and still can't get it packed nearly that way. How did you get it to pack down like that? Even thought of putting a little excavator clay in it for some stability :/
Share dang it!

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
Nervous Father Again!!
My Mexican Red Rump is doing the same thing as the "T" I lost about 1 month ago. He is sitting in his burrow he dug out beneath 2 rocks. I never see him unless I peek under the rocks. He does not come out to drink or feed. This is the same action as the one I lost and I don't want it to happen again. He is in a 10 gallon aquarium with 5" of substrate and a water dish. I spritz a little water every other day. I'm thinking about removing the rocks he is under and see what he does. I want something positive to happen. I could use some suggestions.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd change out those chips to Eco Earth coconut fiber.
Agreed. The tank size is fine by the looks of it, just change substrate to coco fibre or coco fibre mix with peat which is what I use for all of mine. Nice looking T @Cuban86

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This has me so confused. I pack the tar out of it damp and let it dry and still can't get it packed nearly that way. How did you get it to pack down like that? Even thought of putting a little excavator clay in it for some stability :/
Share dang it!
probably dumb luck :)

For this one i poured in the dry cocofiber from a bag, not the compacted bricks, then misted it until it was moist, packed it down, added more sub, misted again, packed that down, then repeat until I had enough substrate. Then as it dried you could see it shrink away from the enclosure walls. If you go back and look in my pic thread at the first boehmei pictures you can see some of the top level substrate has fallen into the gap between the substrate "brick" and the wall.

I will say it held the burrow shape extremely well :D

Now i just dump the substrate mix in a mixing bowl, dump room temp water from a generic store bought water bottle in until i have the consistency i want and pack that into the enclosures. lower levels of the substrate stay moist for months, and now that i've gotten rid of that horrible cheap top soil i have zero mold issues. All of my mold issues using that top soil came from the tiny wood chips and slivers. the Eco Earth coco-fiber and organic potting soil work great :)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Share dang it!
It doesnt pack for me like that either. lol but the spiders dont seem to have any troubles....i dont know. different experiences i guess.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nervous Father Again!!
My Mexican Red Rump is doing the same thing as the "T" I lost about 1 month ago. He is sitting in his burrow he dug out beneath 2 rocks. I never see him unless I peek under the rocks. He does not come out to drink or feed. This is the same action as the one I lost and I don't want it to happen again. He is in a 10 gallon aquarium with 5" of substrate and a water dish. I spritz a little water every other day. I'm thinking about removing the rocks he is under and see what he does. I want something positive to happen. I could use some suggestions.
Keep water in his dish. and offer a cricket every week until he eats. If he does not eat it within 24 hrs remove it. There is nothing else u can do really. Dont disturb a spider in hide though. that is a bad idea. try not to worry.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also, with a dry species, spritzing every other day is not necessary, all dry species need is a water dish. They want dry substrate. Is this a sling? Slings hide, its what they do:) Most of them.

Latest posts