• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What would you consider an adult size?

kaeuri

So as some know (due to a new owner anxiety post lol) I am a really recent owner to a girl Tliltocatl albopilosus. she doesn’t move much and has refused food for now a week, but i just assumed that’s because she’s still getting used to everything. but i also don’t know if i can rule out pre molt? due to refusing to eat, webbing in one specific area, i believe the bald spot she came with is darkening (can’t tell for sure) etc. she also is pretending to be a rock in a spot for nearly a day now, which is odd because she’s been relatively active psst few days. but when i got her, the store said she molted what would now be 5-6 weeks ago. i know juvenile tarantulas molt more commonly but I cannot tell if she is an adult or a juvie. They said she is about 4 inches, but I’m afraid to measure her due to stressing her out more since it’ll only be a week since rehousing tomorrow. My guess is between 3-4 inches. My question is, would you call a 3-4inch curly hair an adult? Should i be concerned she refused to eat? Should I rule out pre molt since she didn’t molt that long ago? sorry for all the noobie questions, i just want to make sure!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So as some know (due to a new owner anxiety post lol) I am a really recent owner to a girl Tliltocatl albopilosus. she doesn’t move much and has refused food for now a week, but i just assumed that’s because she’s still getting used to everything. but i also don’t know if i can rule out pre molt? due to refusing to eat, webbing in one specific area, i believe the bald spot she came with is darkening (can’t tell for sure) etc. she also is pretending to be a rock in a spot for nearly a day now, which is odd because she’s been relatively active psst few days. but when i got her, the store said she molted what would now be 5-6 weeks ago. i know juvenile tarantulas molt more commonly but I cannot tell if she is an adult or a juvie. They said she is about 4 inches, but I’m afraid to measure her due to stressing her out more since it’ll only be a week since rehousing tomorrow. My guess is between 3-4 inches. My question is, would you call a 3-4inch curly hair an adult? Should i be concerned she refused to eat? Should I rule out pre molt since she didn’t molt that long ago? sorry for all the noobie questions, i just want to make sure!
3-4" not quite yet, but 5" yes

Konstantin

3 Year Member
so would you say it’s possible she’s in pre molt? is it too soon to molt?
You will need to post a pic or otherwise is a wild guess.
It sounds too soon to moult again but may be fed heavily and will fast for ages if is too chucky.
Regards Konstantin

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
3" = juvenile (depending on species, in which case your species is considered)

4"= sub adult

5" adult

timc

3 Year Member
At the size you’re describing it’s either an immature female or a mature male. A picture could help someone make an educated guess (plus, i’ve never been mad to see an albopilosum, they’re so cute!). As far as a tarantula not eating, especially the species you have, there’s a million reasons; adjusting to a new enclosure, premolt, mature male, plain not hungry, would rather dig a burrow, wants to make you worry, just being a spider, etc. My best advice is offer food periodically, remove if it’s not eaten, and don’t sweat it. Keep water available and check in once in a while. Tarantulas are like my girlfriend, the less interaction, the better!

Hope this helps and i’d love to see your little guy/gal

kaeuri

At the size you’re describing it’s either an immature female or a mature male. A picture could help someone make an educated guess (plus, i’ve never been mad to see an albopilosum, they’re so cute!). As far as a tarantula not eating, especially the species you have, there’s a million reasons; adjusting to a new enclosure, premolt, mature male, plain not hungry, would rather dig a burrow, wants to make you worry, just being a spider, etc. My best advice is offer food periodically, remove if it’s not eaten, and don’t sweat it. Keep water available and check in once in a while. Tarantulas are like my girlfriend, the less interaction, the better!

Hope this helps and i’d love to see your little guy/gal
sorry about the poor photo quality and way late response :( work killed me with a slight fever. also she’s on the very top of her enclosure as that’s been her very recent project: covering the top of her hide with web
8A71031A-D6C6-4D8D-91C5-8BC9247A6A29.jpeg

Latest posts